DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   VT506 - Microtrack -- or Different Mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/234209-vt506-microtrack-different-mic.html)

Jack Walker April 28th, 2009 09:54 AM

VT506 - Microtrack -- or Different Mic?

I am looking for a small lavalier to plug directly into the Microtrack II without using a power supply, XLR adapter, etc. I want to plug directly into the 1/8" jack.

B&H sells the Sound Technologies VT506 exactly for this purpose:
microtrack | B&H Photo Video

Does anyone have experience with this mic?
I am using this on a female with high pitched voice, under clothing... so should I get the mic with a flat response or a peaked response?

Would it be possible to wire a PSC millimic or Tram for this purpose (plugging directly into the 1/8" powered jack on the Microtrack.)?

Thank you!

Daniel Epstein April 29th, 2009 09:30 PM

You should get the VT mike with the peaked response since you are planning to use it under clothing. The VT506 is very similar to a Tram. I have switched over most of my Radio mic heads from Trams to VT for durability,cost and convenience. Not sure how the powering works thu the mini on the Microtrack but I would trust B+H on this issue. Sanken heads are a little better sounding but cost substantially more. I would expect the Microtrack could power just about any phantom powered mic you have mentioned if wired properly

Jack Walker April 29th, 2009 09:42 PM

Thank you very much! I am doing a narrative web series shot in public locations ("tourist" style) and recording directly into the MicroTrack is very convenient.

However, with the Tram I need to plug in a 1/4" jack and also use the Tram power supply, not to mention the bulky XLR cable section.

With the VT mic going directly into the MicroTrack, I have a dream come true: a high quality (for my needs) recorder and a tiny, undercloathes mic (with vampire cage) and small cable.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll report back on how it finally works out.

Daniel Epstein April 30th, 2009 07:19 AM

I can vouch for the mic but that stereo mini connector may not provide a strong connection over time so be careful with it

Jack Walker June 5th, 2009 12:38 PM

I got the Voice Technologies VT506 for the MicroTrack.

It works very well. The wire has extra rubber insulation where it goes into the 1/8" hand-wired plug. I think some tape will protect the wire from getting pulled out during use.

Paired with the MicroTrack, this works very well for a hidden body-worn mic. The VT506 eliminates the extras needed to use a Tram: power supply, XLR cable, xlr to 1/4" plug adapter.

According to the specs, the power needed for the VT506 is 1.3v (0.9-20v). The powered 1/8" jack on the MicroTrack works fine.

Daniel Epstein June 6th, 2009 07:51 AM

A Tram wired properly should also be able go directly into the microtrack using the phantom from the recorder as I have both systems wired for my Lectrosonic radio mics without the XLR power supply. Just not sure anyone sells Trams directly that way

Jim Andrada June 7th, 2009 01:52 AM

Just another vote for the VT 506 paired with a MicroTrak. I have two sets and so far am happy with them. I thought it would be easier than fooling with wireless for the relatively static situations I'm faced with.