VT506 - Microtrack -- or Different Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Trustee

VT506 - Microtrack -- or Different Mic?

I am looking for a small lavalier to plug directly into the Microtrack II without using a power supply, XLR adapter, etc. I want to plug directly into the 1/8" jack.

B&H sells the Sound Technologies VT506 exactly for this purpose:
microtrack | B&H Photo Video

Does anyone have experience with this mic?
I am using this on a female with high pitched voice, under clothing... so should I get the mic with a flat response or a peaked response?

Would it be possible to wire a PSC millimic or Tram for this purpose (plugging directly into the 1/8" powered jack on the Microtrack.)?

Thank you!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Trustee

You should get the VT mike with the peaked response since you are planning to use it under clothing. The VT506 is very similar to a Tram. I have switched over most of my Radio mic heads from Trams to VT for durability,cost and convenience. Not sure how the powering works thu the mini on the Microtrack but I would trust B+H on this issue. Sanken heads are a little better sounding but cost substantially more. I would expect the Microtrack could power just about any phantom powered mic you have mentioned if wired properly
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you very much! I am doing a narrative web series shot in public locations ("tourist" style) and recording directly into the MicroTrack is very convenient.

However, with the Tram I need to plug in a 1/4" jack and also use the Tram power supply, not to mention the bulky XLR cable section.

With the VT mic going directly into the MicroTrack, I have a dream come true: a high quality (for my needs) recorder and a tiny, undercloathes mic (with vampire cage) and small cable.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll report back on how it finally works out.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Trustee

I can vouch for the mic but that stereo mini connector may not provide a strong connection over time so be careful with it
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Trustee

I got the Voice Technologies VT506 for the MicroTrack.

It works very well. The wire has extra rubber insulation where it goes into the 1/8" hand-wired plug. I think some tape will protect the wire from getting pulled out during use.

Paired with the MicroTrack, this works very well for a hidden body-worn mic. The VT506 eliminates the extras needed to use a Tram: power supply, XLR cable, xlr to 1/4" plug adapter.

According to the specs, the power needed for the VT506 is 1.3v (0.9-20v). The powered 1/8" jack on the MicroTrack works fine.
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Trustee

A Tram wired properly should also be able go directly into the microtrack using the phantom from the recorder as I have both systems wired for my Lectrosonic radio mics without the XLR power supply. Just not sure anyone sells Trams directly that way
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Just another vote for the VT 506 paired with a MicroTrak. I have two sets and so far am happy with them. I thought it would be easier than fooling with wireless for the relatively static situations I'm faced with.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio