Wireless Lavalier Advice Needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Lavalier Advice Needed

Hi All,

I need to purchase a wireless setup for my cams (XLR inputs) and I'm a little overwhelmed at the selection available. For the moment, I just need (1) transmitter/receiver, and my budget is about $600. I've looked at the Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 (seems to fit the bill), but I read that they were releasing the G3 soon so I didn't know if I should wait. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Best ~ Lee
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Problem is you are caught right in the middle of the big radio-frequency-shuffle in which a lot of the radio spectrum is being re-assigned. We have quite a number of Sennheiser g2's and think they are great quality, particularly for the money. But the G3's coming out will be more advanced and will be sold in new frequency banks to match the new spectrum. You might want to wait a time until the new units come out, to avoid inadvertant obsolesence....but if not, the G2's have worked great for us -- caveat: we are using a band that is nearly vacant in our area, others who have used other bands (A and B) have found interferance from radio and tv transmitters on the lower freqs...so again, until you find what frequencies will be clear in your area and the equipment comes available, it might be risky...../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for the advice - waiting is not a problem.

Best !~ Lee
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Major Player

The new G3 camera receiver is now diversity (it uses the output cable as the second antenna) - G2 was non-diversity.

G3 also has a wider 42MHz switching window. The new 2000 series (replaces G2 500/550 series) has a 75MHz window.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio