Which wireless lav mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which wireless lav mic?

What's the best bang for the buck wireless lav out there? The Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 looks decent. They will be used primarily for interviews.
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The G2 is a decent enough system, especially if you swap the mics from the rather large ones it ships with to something a little more descrete. The new G3 series also looks worth a look, but they're a little too new for many of us to have worked with them yet.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chang View Post
What's the best bang for the buck wireless lav out there? The Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 looks decent. They will be used primarily for interviews.
We have that system at work for live events. It's quite good. I'd use it for video. We used to use a Shure SLX system, which was definitely not good enough for video and marginal for a PA system. (Too much hiss, no high end signal.)
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

How about Sonys?
556-662MHz... which is probably not very future-proof?
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chang View Post
I had a couple of Azden 200UPR Dual-Channel UHF for my Canon XL2 that worked very well for documentary/interviews etc. Those lavs can be seen in this silly Youtube clip: YouTube - My big rig camera... and my scalloped guitar... and my workout routine

-- peer
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Major Player

I have been working with the 100 series G2s for some time now and am extremely pleased. The mic that comes with the ENG kit that comes with the brick is different than the one that comes without the brick. Don't know why, but it is. The one that comes with the brick is much better in terms of build quality, audio clarity, and is much smaller to boot.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Wrangler

Moved from the 5D2 thread to the All Things Audio thread... I think you'll have more responses here. :)

I'll vote for the Sennheiser G2 as well, got both of mine from DVestore and have been very happy with them.
Sennheiser Mics at DVcreators.net
They also have some great tutorials on how to use them, which will give you a nice intro to it before you buy.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Peter,

I have bit the Sennheiser ew112pG2 and Sony UWP radio mic kits. My preference, if you can afford it, would be to go with the new Sony UWP-V1. The Sony's diversity antenna's and headphone monitoring give it the edge over the Sennheiser, although the units are slightly larger. The only time I use the Sennheisers is when I'm being really discreet.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Peter,

I have bit the Sennheiser ew112pG2 and Sony UWP radio mic kits. My preference, if you can afford it, would be to go with the new Sony UWP-V1. The Sony's diversity antenna's and headphone monitoring give it the edge over the Sennheiser, although the units are slightly larger. The only time I use the Sennheisers is when I'm being really discreet.

Dan
Don't forget that G2 is now going and G3 is coming - and the new G3 camera receiver *is* diversity. G3 has a wide 42MHz switching range as well.

The 2000 series camera receiver (ie: top end G3) does have headphone monitoring as well as well as a massive 75MHz switching range.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio