DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   removing background noise in Final Cut Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/236326-removing-background-noise-final-cut-pro.html)

James Collins May 29th, 2009 04:57 AM

removing background noise in Final Cut Pro

I have taken some video, but the microphone was a bit distant from me resulting in some unwanted background noise.

is there any way of dealing with this? I don't have any audio editing programmes, just Final Cut Pro.

Thanks.

Andy Wilkinson May 29th, 2009 05:28 AM

If you can get the audio files onto a Windows PC, Audacity (it's freeware) is a pretty good basic audio tool that could help you - I don't think there is a Mac version. There are a few basic audio filters in FCP (as I'm sure you are aware), accessible via the Effects > Audio Filters >.....drop down window - not used them much as I do it in SoundTrack Pro 2 (as I have the full suite). Hope this helps a little.

Ken Campbell May 30th, 2009 12:09 AM

If you want to do a pro job you will need Izotope RX or Adobe Audition for surgically removing isolated noises. They also are fantastic for general broadband noise and tonal noise removal. They will cost you a good chunk of cash.

The other solution is to download the fully functional trial of Reaper which has a plugin called ReaFir that has a subtractive mode for eliminating broadband and tonal noise. It won't be much use for isolated noises and isn't as versatile as the two mentioned above.

Kevin Walsh May 30th, 2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1150209)
If you can get the audio files onto a Windows PC, Audacity (it's freeware) is a pretty good basic audio tool that could help you - I don't think there is a Mac version. There are a few basic audio filters in FCP (as I'm sure you are aware), accessible via the Effects > Audio Filters >.....drop down window - not used them much as I do it in SoundTrack Pro 2 (as I have the full suite). Hope this helps a little.

There is a Mac Version
Audacity: Mac OS 9 / X

Andy Wilkinson May 30th, 2009 07:20 AM

Good news! Thanks.

Dan Brockett May 31st, 2009 02:40 PM

Assuming if you own FCP, you also own Soundtrack Pro. STP has some pretty good noise reduction tools, they use the same algorithms as Sound Soap I think. I use it all of the time. Izotope is better, Waves Restoration is better but cost over $1,000.00. I would try the tool you probably already have before going out to third party software.

Dan

Brett Sherman May 31st, 2009 04:07 PM

Voxengo's "Redunoise" plug-in is a great deal for the PC at $100. He hasn't yet ported it to the Mac, but I'm hoping. I miss it sorely since moving from PC to Mac. I have iZotope RX and it's great. I'd consider it equal to Redunoise in that it works better sometimes and Redunoise works better sometimes. Redunoise is extremely tweakable, so the more you work with it, the better you can make it.

High-resolution audio noise reduction plugin - Redunoise - Voxengo