removing background noise in Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 29th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

removing background noise in Final Cut Pro

I have taken some video, but the microphone was a bit distant from me resulting in some unwanted background noise.

is there any way of dealing with this? I don't have any audio editing programmes, just Final Cut Pro.

Thanks.
James Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you can get the audio files onto a Windows PC, Audacity (it's freeware) is a pretty good basic audio tool that could help you - I don't think there is a Mac version. There are a few basic audio filters in FCP (as I'm sure you are aware), accessible via the Effects > Audio Filters >.....drop down window - not used them much as I do it in SoundTrack Pro 2 (as I have the full suite). Hope this helps a little.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If you want to do a pro job you will need Izotope RX or Adobe Audition for surgically removing isolated noises. They also are fantastic for general broadband noise and tonal noise removal. They will cost you a good chunk of cash.

The other solution is to download the fully functional trial of Reaper which has a plugin called ReaFir that has a subtractive mode for eliminating broadband and tonal noise. It won't be much use for isolated noises and isn't as versatile as the two mentioned above.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
If you can get the audio files onto a Windows PC, Audacity (it's freeware) is a pretty good basic audio tool that could help you - I don't think there is a Mac version. There are a few basic audio filters in FCP (as I'm sure you are aware), accessible via the Effects > Audio Filters >.....drop down window - not used them much as I do it in SoundTrack Pro 2 (as I have the full suite). Hope this helps a little.
There is a Mac Version
Audacity: Mac OS 9 / X
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Good news! Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Assuming if you own FCP, you also own Soundtrack Pro. STP has some pretty good noise reduction tools, they use the same algorithms as Sound Soap I think. I use it all of the time. Izotope is better, Waves Restoration is better but cost over $1,000.00. I would try the tool you probably already have before going out to third party software.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Voxengo's "Redunoise" plug-in is a great deal for the PC at $100. He hasn't yet ported it to the Mac, but I'm hoping. I miss it sorely since moving from PC to Mac. I have iZotope RX and it's great. I'd consider it equal to Redunoise in that it works better sometimes and Redunoise works better sometimes. Redunoise is extremely tweakable, so the more you work with it, the better you can make it.

High-resolution audio noise reduction plugin - Redunoise - Voxengo
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio