two mics to one camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Inner Circle

What's a Rode MT2?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Another way to use two mics in a situation like that, is to have one on the speaker and one aimed at the audience. This one could be used to add a bit of ambiance, laughter, questions and audience comments.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #18
Trustee

I went to the local 'Dick Smith' store - NZ/AU RadioShack equivilent - and the guy put me onto a 'two female RCA (mono) > single male stereo minijack' connector, accepting two 'female Minijack > male RCA' connectors, to accept the leads from the two mics. Cost $NZ12. Should work.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #19
Regular Crew

If you use a Y-adapter to combine the signals of two microphones, the mics will load down each other, and you'll get a low level signal, possibly with distortion and weak bass. A better solution is to use a small mixer.

When connectiing 2 different microphones it is also important to match the impedance and only a mixer can do the job.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Regular Crew

It will work if one of the leads goes to the left channel and one to the right channel.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Mixing 2 different mics into one input

"It will work if one of the leads goes to the left channel and one to the right channel."

You are right if the mics are the same and use a 3.5mm mini plug (1/8 here in the USA)

You are wrong... when you mix a XLR input mic and a 3.5mm input mic(1/8 here in the USA).

Here are the 2 microphones he is trying to mix:

The camera is a GS 500. It has a 3.5mm jack.
The Mics are a
- Rode VideoMic - Manual says power (Supplu voltage) is 9v battery, Current 5 mA
and a
- Rode NTG-2 - Manual says power is 1.5v (alkaline) or P48 Phantom
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If the cable DOES work, you'll still be in a situation where you only have one gain stage. If one mic has higher sensitivity than the other, that one will be loud and the other will be soft. Again, a Beachtek or other mic mixer with 1/8" out will help.
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #23
Trustee

deleted...

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; June 14th, 2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #24
Inner Circle

The SignVideo XLR-Pro should work. It has XLR and mini inputs. It outputs to a single stereo male miniplug.

XLR-PRO XLR adapter
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #25
Trustee

This thread has been very helpful and pointed me to XLR adapters. I have checked three out, the Beachtek, JuicedLink, and Sign-Video. I read an extensive discussion going back to about 2003 on various adapters.

Just wonder if anyone had done a comparsion of these lately. The Sign Video looks good because of the 2x XLR and 2x minijack ports. Juicedlink has good reports. Beachtek seems the most widely used.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Renton,

BTW, the classic use of two mics for one person speaking is to put both mics in front of the person speaking and angle each one somewhat left and right so that when they turn their head to speak they remain "on mic." Keep the capsules as close as possible to each other.

In effect, it's a way to widen the pattern (or coverage area) of two directional mics. You still benefit to some degree from the directionality as compared to an omni, but you lose a bit of ambient background.

Speaking of ambi...The new Audio Technica BP4025 stereo mic is really quite nice. Not for you but for others. I did some nature recording with it recently and was very impressed by the stereo image and how quiet it was. I can frequently hear the selfnoise of mics like this, but due to the larger capsules, the selfnoise is relatively low.

Hear's one of the tracks. http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/ambi08.wav

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #27
Trustee

Thanks Ty. I've had my two mics more or less as you suggested, but above the mouth by about 350mm and pointed down at the mouth. During one recent filming, I dropped my head to read off some paper and I noticed that the voice clarity was affected slightly when I did so. It seems in such a situation the mics need to be lower. As I understand it, it is standard practice to point mics down towards the mouth so as to minimise extraneous sound.
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #28
Inner Circle

In the video world, we point 'em anywhere they'll let us get near. In some cases we mic from below, but mostly booming from above. Hats with brims are a pain when booming from above. They block the sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio