Anyone use the Azden Cam3 mixer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 30th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Anyone use the Azden Cam3 mixer?

I have been using Azden wireless lavs, and have had no problems with them. Now, I am looking for a small powered mixer, and found some mentions of the Cam 3 by Azden. The price looks good, and it will take 3 mics. But, is it usable?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Trustee

John Garret at DV.com did a review on the Azden. I can't remember which one but it wasn't favorable.
http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/review/garrett0703

Jay Rose over at dv.com rated the Rolls highly. Jay pulls no punches. For a few bucks more PSC has a beauty. What's your budget.

MX54s Pro-Mix Plus by Rolls, $150 Three-input Portable Mic Mixer. It rated betwen 3 1/2 stars ( between solid choice and very good )

http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/review/rose1103_rev&_requestid=347365
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Bryan- I have been shopping in the $50-$75 dollar range. The pickings are somewhat slim, but there are a few choices, the Cam 3 being one.

Rolls also looked good, as well as a few of the Behringers. I'm looking for a "less expensive" model to start with. I have a mystery shoot on Apr 10th, and may need to run more than one mic. Since it is a deferred/ credit job, I can't budget too much on a mixer.
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #4

The little Samson, Mixpad 4, is an excellent little mixer, battery powered, and quiet. So is the M-Audio Mixim 10. Both are sub $100.00
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Trustee

I too have heard very good things about the mixpad.It's $160 at B&H but it has a full 48 volt phantom.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=131241&is=REG

The rolls MX54 is only $99 at B&H, it's only drawback being 18 volt phantom. Read Jay's review.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=174333&is=REG

The Mixpad isn't a Sound devices but it is full featured and portable. I think you'll regret anything without a full 48 volt phantom.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Bryan- Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure whatever I end up with is 48 volt phantom power.

The only thing I didn't like about the mix pad, was the size. I would like to keep it camera mounted if possible.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Trustee

Keith
How were you planning on mounting it?

I have a Mix Pre which is one of the smallest available and I've been trying to find the best way. Some have drilled through the case and screwed it to the tropod socket but the idea of drilling through a piece of gear like that makes me queasy. I called Sound Devices and it's only $30 for a replacement cover channel (3 sides of the case)

I had looked at the Bracket One and emailed the company. I dared to ask for dimensions and the knob wouldn't give them. It's still the best answer for me so far. www.bracket1.com

I'd appreciate any ideas. Build wise the Rolls looks the best, the only problem is that 18 volt phantom.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

Some of the smaller mixers I've seen, have a belt clip. If I can't mount it on the shoe, why not the strap on my GL1? It would still be right next to the audio jack.
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Major Player

CAM-3 mixer from Azden

I've used the CAM-3 a few times. It's a handy little box -- about the dimensions of a credit card, but thicker -- but it's not very robust for field use. It's fine for hobby projects or home movies, but not very helpful for professional demands. First problem: It only accepts 3.5mm mini plugs, which aren't very secure. Second problem: It is a passive device, so it won't power your microphones needing phantom power.

Having said that, the Azden CAM-3 is great for light use and short cable runs. The mixer has 3 inputs and a Level fader for each. Channel 1 is panned right, Channel 2 is panned left, and Channel 3 is center panned (L & R, actually). This setup is good for mixing ambient sound from a stereo microphone on Ch. 1 and 2 and dialog from a wireless mic on Ch. 3. Before I got my DVC80, I shot a wedding ceremony last fall using this setup, and the sound was adequate. I don't recommend shooting handheld with the CAM-3; "riding the faders" while panning, zooming, and focusing manually is asking for trouble, and something will have to give -- unless you have someone walking alongside you wearing the headphones you can mix your audio for you.

The CAM-3 has its time and place, but I doubt it's what you're looking for.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:17 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

Thanks Tim- That is what I wanted to know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio