Incessant popping in speakers- help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Incessant popping in speakers- help!

So here's my relatively low-end setup:

From the computer I have fw400 going out to Behringer's FCA202 external sound card. From the sound card I have two 1/4" trs cables to the Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer (I also have two cables going from the mixer back into the sound card, so it can accept input from the mixer). I have been using headphones hooked into the mixer for some time now, but I just picked up a pair of used BX5s.

The BX5s sound great when I fire up iTunes, so I know my problem is not with these new speakers. However, I've been working on a short film for fun and, anytime I play back what's in my timeline the audio pops non-stop. I also have some .mov files saved on data dvds and when I play them back I also get popping. I do not get popping when playing back commercial dvds. The computer has a dual-core processor and 8gb of RAM.

This seems to be an issue with latency somewhere in the chain, but I don't know where or how to fix it and it's driving me NUTS. Anyone have a solution?
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You could check the sound card latency/buffer settings.. also your bit rates, sometimes if you run a 48k/24 bit signal in but the computer's expecting 44.1/16 it can cause pops (or your editing program might be set up for a different bit rate than the file you're working with). could also pop when you're running your signal too loud, etc..
Cris Hendrix is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio