DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   A carry case for the RODE Blimp. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/239479-carry-case-rode-blimp.html)

Allan Black July 22nd, 2009 07:04 AM

A carry case for the RODE Blimp.

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I needed a case that can fully protect the Blimp with its Wombat wind cover and NTG-3 shotgun mic installed, ready to go. Take it out of the SUV or aircraft, pull the front cap off, pull the Blimp out, straighten its handle, plug it in and I'm good to go.

It's made from PVC water pipe from a plumbers supplies outlet. The main barrel is 58cms long 160mm diameter, lucky offcut, no charge. The top pipe is 80mm diameter at $9.50 for one metre. Its side reinforcing supports are made from the same pipe. The barrel caps are $8.50ea, the top pipe caps are $2ea. The handle cost $1.50 at Bunnings.

The cap at the other end of the top pipe (pix 4) pulls off to reveal a small compartment to hold the NTG-3 shot gun foam filter, Wombat comb, thread adaptors etc. The Wombat will store in the back end of the main barrel when not in use. Locktite 406 holds it all together, $25.28. My total materials cost ... $A57.28.

With a fully loaded Blimp on board, the case weighs 2.5kg. This is a right hand (when you carry it) model case ... construction time, 2 afternoons.

To store the Blimp with its Wombat laced up, static electricity will build up big time if you don't fit an internal barrel sleeve made from reinforced cardboard. Shown here during construction stages for clarity, and before a vinyl cover is applied.

Cheers.

Andreas Jaeger July 22nd, 2009 07:56 AM

Wow, very fine work!

It looks really good and professional.
Its all DIY?

Allan Black July 23rd, 2009 06:05 AM

Thanks Andreas, yep all DIY.

Andy Wilkinson July 23rd, 2009 09:34 AM

Nice one! Just needs a "Classified" and/or "Top Secret" stencil on the side and you'll be watched everywhere you carry that baby..... :-)

Seriously nice though - when you starting a production line!!! (I'm sure there would be eager buyers in Oz, and elsewhere if you ever did).

Paula DiSante July 23rd, 2009 10:58 AM

Count me in! That's the blimp I have, and I would love to get a case like this one! Please let me know if you decide to make them for sale.

Allan Black July 23rd, 2009 06:22 PM

Sorry Andy and Paula no production planned. Yep it attracts attention, going to dull it down. I spent a lot of time with the design and looking at pipes so it would be protective and very fast to get the Blimped mic into operation and easy to use .. and dustproof. All the materials were bought in the one shop with the exception of the handle.

I put the specs up here because it's cheap and not that hard to make. You don't have to make the front cap supports, just leave them as 2 separate caps and file as good a mating surfaces as you can. The secret is taking it very slowly.

The handle has a reinforcing plate under it (pix 3) and is offset a few degrees so putting the case down on a flat surface, the main barrel touches first and doesn't jar the rig.

I turned the hose on it to find any leaks, Locktite 406 is good stuff, use that not any superglue.

Cheers.

Ben Longden July 24th, 2009 06:34 AM

Nice work, Alan.. nice work.

Ben

Paula DiSante July 25th, 2009 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info, Allan. It really is an amazing case. Maybe I will get adventurous and give it a try. I can't imagine mine would look as sweet as this one, though. It's serious eye candy. Great work!

Bruce Taylor August 5th, 2009 11:28 PM

Allan,
It would be a good idea to mail Rode, telling them what you did, and maybe give them a hint to include a hard case with their product :)

I am really impressed with the finish of this thing. Well done.

Allan Black August 7th, 2009 07:13 PM

Thanks. RODE know about it, for the cost of the materials it's a DIY project. I've had a couple of questions about building it, if anyone else is interested.

Cheers.

Andrew Smith August 7th, 2009 11:33 PM

So when is the video of the construction coming out?

Andrew

Allan Black August 11th, 2009 02:40 AM

No video just stills and some instructions, it's easy.

Cheers.

Dave Gosley August 14th, 2009 02:19 PM

I want one...

Allan Black April 14th, 2011 11:55 PM

Re: A carry case for the RODE Blimp.

Nearly 2 yrs later and I haven't painted or covered it, the only reason I would do it now would be to dull it down.

One thing I do do now is to install the Wombat before going out away from base. If/when the wind gets up past the level where you need a basic Blimp and it does frequently .. to have to stop or worse, go back and fit the Wombat is a total waste of time.

Cheers.

Andrew Smith April 14th, 2011 11:59 PM

Re: A carry case for the RODE Blimp.

Would it be worth it to have the dead wombat on it all the time as a matter of principle? It's pretty much what I tend to do.

Andrew