442, options for boom op to monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks guys but no money for comteks...

We are actually recording double system, using the direct outputs to feed a 744 and the Hirose multi pin to feed the camera...

As a boom op. myself I think is very important and almost crucial to be able to monitor with your headphones on, I am sorry but there's no excuses. It's a completely different world and I am not going to go into that discussion. I am not saying you can get away sometimes but the different in acoustics, the non controllable noise around you, the different mics response to particular situations, etc...

Chris, I completely agree with you about swinging the boom yourself, that was my intention, I applied for the job as a boom op but apparently they want me to do the sound mixer and the other guy to do the boom. They just think that because he's less experience it would be more beneficial for the final result. But as you I reckon, I think the boom op plays a essential part as he is the first element in the sound chain so therefore more important the sound mixer. Anyway I hope I've got enough time and patience to give my boom op advice and knowledge. I have met him and he is very willing to learn and very passionate about sound, he seems to be quite hard working person, we are def going to need someone like him for the job.

I've already thought about giving the 302 back and hire either a 5-pin cable or a MM-1, the thing is that the 302 is own by the company that is producing the film so they are obviously not renting anything else.

Thanks everybody for your contributions and time...
Vicente Villaescusa

PD: Does any of you know how can I change my name from Vvicente to my real name Vicente...it was just a mistake when I register with the website...
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I second Steve's advice to use the MM1 if possible. Still, the boom-op could just use the 302 to monitor, it does everything the MM1 does and more.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

We are using the 302 as I said...thanks for support
Vvicente Villaescusa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio