Sennheiser 280 or 570 Headphone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser 280 or 570 Headphone?

Hi folks

I have a choice between the model 280 and 570 to be used with my Canon XL1 in the field. Which one would you recommend? The 280 is highly recommended but how is the 280 different from the 570?

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've been using the 500 series for the last ten years, although as desk and studio headphones. They have a crisp clean open sound, and they're darn comfortable to wear. I've used them on my video shoots (I'm just an amateur) and they've served me well. However, the open sound is due to less isolation from outside. I think the decision is based your shooting environment.
I haven't used the 280, but they appear to be closed ear and have heftier head clamps. This usually means that they do a better job of keeping external sound out, but also, they'll be less comfortable, especially when they clamp your ears and glasses.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #3
Major Player

The Sony MDR-7506 (about $100) is the industry standard more or less. I can't recall seeing anything else anywhere.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #4
Trustee

To properly monitor your audio in the field, you should have closed headphones so stay with the Senn 280, Sony 7506 or the AKG 271S

The 570 is for listening enjoyment not field monitoring. You really don't want any enhancements or outside "noise" interferring .
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Tourist

I can tell you with absolute assurance - buy the Sennheiser 280 Pros. They are the best headphones available for the money, with the possible exception of a particular AKG model that is useless for videography. I have had 3 sets of the 280 Pros, and they are absolutely dynamite. I record classical music, and will not use any other pair of headphones for live shows. They are closed back (something like -30db of reduction!), very LOUD (good for weak-output camcorders) and the sound is pristine.

One problem with them - I have had the headband come loose on a pair. The plastic joint is a little flimsy. Wrap with black gaffer's tape and you'll be fine (make sure to set your head adjustment on the band first!!!)
Jonathon Landell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio