AT897/DXA-8 Hiss at max. volume... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #16
Trustee

The receiver is pretty small. As long as you can keep the antenna vertical and as far away as possible from metal surfaces (this includes behind the antenna too), you should be ok. Pointed straight down works too if that's more convenient.
The 897 will perform best when it's away from the camera as well.
I know it seems like it adds huge bulk, but using a bracket to hold the camera, BeachTek, wireless and shotgun does add performance to the whole package.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Right now I don't have much of a choice other than to keep the shotgun mic on the camera. Its mainly going to be used at wedding receptions and other run-and-gun shooting where it has to be mounted on the camera. Besides, I'm a one-man-band at this point, and would not have a sound operator to hold it as a boom mic anyway.

Can you recommend any different brackets that would work well in mounting all this equipment onto the camera? (specific model #'s, please)

I need to keep it relatively cheap, as I'm already going over my budget.
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I just found this adapter at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=146293&is=REG

It has two hot shoe connectors and isnt nearly as big some of the other adapters I've seen, and its not too expensive at $37.

Does the Sennheiser G2's receiver have a hot shoe port on it that would make it easy to mount onto this hot shoe adapter?
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #19
Trustee

I think you have to buy this piece to get a shoe mount for the receiver.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=328035&is=REG
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #20
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Fred Retread : The DXA-8 has all three features, but on the other hand you might want to go higher than the DXA-8 and get a true field mixer like the MixPre. I have the DXA-8 and I'm starting to think about the MixPre.

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll regret getting the SignVideo adaptor. It's a great improvement over not having an adaptor, and it will have resale value. -->>>

I'm on record as fully supporting Fred here as regards the MixPre. And please know that the MixPre is the entry level piece of gear for pros. There are many levels of proficiency and quality for gear. It's sort of like an aquarium; a lot of crap and scum on the bottom, but things get better as you get to the top.

The MixPre is one of those pieces of gear that you will grow into. I wanted more. I agonized and ended up with a Sound Devices 442 because I thought it would allow me to get work. I seldom use all four inputs, but there have been times when I have needed even more than four. (I ganged several mixers together)

The input limiters protect against unexpected shrieks and the multiple outputs and their limiters let me feed up to 3 cameras simultaneously without fear of overs. That comes in handy more and more for shoots with a locked down camera and a handheld.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Sorry, there's no way that I can afford the MixPre at this point. Too far over my budget.

Can someone explain limiters? I'm not exactly sure what it would do for me. I was looking at the DXA-6, but it does not have limiters. The DXA-8 does, but it's alot more expensive, and the DXA-6 is already pushing the limits of my budget.

What are the other advantages of the DXA-8 over the DXA-6?
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #22
Regular Crew

G2 already comes with that accessory

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : I think you have to buy this piece to get a shoe mount for the receiver.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=328035&is=REG -->>>

The G2 units come with that shoe mount adapter.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #23
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Wright : Sorry, there's no way that I can afford the MixPre at this point. Too far over my budget.

Can someone explain limiters? I'm not exactly sure what it would do for me.

It'll let you record hotter signals without fear of overs.That gets you higher out of the system noise of your camera audio.

Regards,

TyFord
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio