Digital Audio Drift - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #16
Trustee

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a star wars DVD.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #17
Warden

My experience is that all of these devices add or subtract a frame or two error to the process. The manufacture doesn't tell you about this delay (or advance) figuring you'll never see or hear it. But in reality, when you start adding up all the delays, it can be quite noticeable.

My case in point would be the DVX100, which in some modes has a several frame delay. Compound this with the delay in the playback device and the display device (say LCD Screen) and all of a sudden you have a, say, 6 to 8 frame delay.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #18
Trustee

Is not the cameras since the delay is different on different cards.

Douglas, yes TerraTec. Sorry I couldn't remember the exact name. :) In general I've been very pleased with the EWX 24/96, until now. Sounds like I should just get a better sound card for the future.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #19
Warden

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my point. I wasn't trying to single out a camera or one specific device. Rather, I was trying to point out the drift in the mix of the analog and digital world.

In the past, the analog world was linked via SMPTE timecode if you needed frame accuracy. Digital has thrown a curve into the formula. Display devices (LCD, plasma screens, digital projectors etc.) have a frame buffer, or delay, that can be a problem. Capture devices that incorporate A/D and D/A convertors, generally use frame buffers that can contribute to the frame error. Playback devices, such as DVD players, DV video decks, computers, can add a delay also. Some cameras (DVX100 for example) record with a frame or two delay in some modes.

If you view the signal through just one or two device the delay or advance in most cases is not noticeable. However, add a capture device and a digital display device and the effect will surely be noticeable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #20
Trustee

how about this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-105&depa=0

Should this give me no audio drift?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio