Rycote: Does the BBG open in the middle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rycote: Does the BBG open in the middle?

I am baffled. Just receive the baby ball gag, and it appears that the Oktava can not push thru the hole. It is wider at the head.
Called Rycote who says they do not reccomend these with the Oktava. I asked her if it is OK to crack it open in the middle (it appears to open). She said not recommended. Meanwhile I have seen it open in half on websites. Does this thing unscrew in the middle? Then I can push the mic on from the thin side.
thanks
George Zabetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

OK. Called BH and Rycote in US again. I can turn it counter clockwise to open in half. Will try when I get home again.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes. It opens in the middle... right on the thick plastic band. It should take minimum effort to open it. Righty tighty... lefty loosey. Turn left to open. It is NOT threaded... there are 3 "tongues" which go into "grooves"... a quarter turn opens it.

Then simply push the Oktava through the rubber boot xlr end first. It works great and it's rediculous that Rycote doesn't recommend the BBG for the Oktava... the damn thing is practically MADE for it. I can't imagine a better fit.

Yes I have one and I love it and everything stated above is true.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks matt,
got it to open. placed the mic in from the inside.
You're right, it fits like a glove.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #5
Trustee

You could unscrew the capsule and shove it in first then screw the capsule back on.

The K-TeK SSM is made for that setup but make sure you get the softer rubber. it's made for the CS1 but a perfect fit. Trew have it for $110, I think B&H have it for about the same. B&H may not have the soft mounts.

http://www.mklemme.com/pole/support.html
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryan. You read my mind. That is my next purchase.
Do I just tell the TREW peson I want the soft mount, and he will know I mean? thanks
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes the SSM with the soft rubber mount.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio