What does a "low sensitivity" version mean? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1
Major Player

What does a "low sensitivity" version mean?

Once again, coming out of a picture background, I'm clueless as to something audio related. Looking for something on the B&H website I ran across a "low sensitivity" version of the K6 powering module:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=92927&is=REG

Thing is, when you compare the specs they have posted with the regular K6, I don't see any difference (not that I really understand the specs anyway). I've been debating picking up another power module so I can use the ME64 and 66 at the same time in one scenario (or else add another mic... which might be cheaper).

Thoughts?
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Trustee

The "Red Dot" model K6 will result in a lower output on each of it's mics. The ME66 is a very hot mic with a 50 mv output using the standard K6. This can be a problem in loud venues.

Sennheiser doesn't list the actual figures and either does B&H.

There is a reference to a K6-CL in the linked PDF at the sennheiser site. It's stated that it is the same unit but with lkower sensitivety.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/WebPreview/122BC1A3920476D5C1256E85002C95E4/$File/K6_bda.pdf
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Trustee

I found it. The CL has a reduced sensitivety of -18db

http://buy.sennheiserusa.com/manuals/PDF_data/53686.pdf
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Hmm, so in judging what counts as "loud venues," I'd only want this (-18db) reduced sensitivity if I were, say, recording a loud concert for example (which I am not)? In my case, if I stick with the regular K6, my mixer should give me more than enough flexibility to bring down things like the occasional kids laughter and shouts/spikes, which can send the audio into the red, correct?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Trustee

The inputs could overload, but your mixer should have input limiters. -18 db would bring the output down in the range of a schoeps, Oktava or AT mic (10mv) Better would be a 10 db pad between the mic and the mixer.

With kids the differences between "normal" and loud would be considerable, possible greater range than the mic could handle.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM   #6
Trustee

The gold plated version, for $43.50 a 10, 20 or 30 db selectable pad (attenuator) acn be yours

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=68085&is=REG

or for $18 a 10 db pad which should be all you need for the ME66

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=135091&is=REG

For another $18 buy a 20 db pad. That way you'll have spent less and have a shorter pad. You can also use them both at the same time

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=135093&is=REG
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Bryan, if you were explaining it to your kids/grandkids (which is probably as much as I understand about audio lingo) a "pad" does what exactly? And I need it when I already have a mixer, why? Not trying to be difficult. I'm just confused.

I have the Promix 3 (from PSC), which feeds into my DVX. Why can't I just ride the channels on it/the mixer? Does this "pad" keep it from hitting the red, in the event I screw up (a significant possiblity)? I thought the built in limiters would insure against distortion, to a degree. But again, as I said, what do I know.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:20 AM   #8
Trustee

A pad is an attenuator, it cuts the signal down. You were asking about the low sensitivety K6, it's basically attenuated by 18 db over the standard.

It is possible to overload the inputs of a mixer. A classic example would be bagpipes at close range.

I wouldn't worry about it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio