Canon HG21 external mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon HG21 external mic

Hello I own a Canon Vixia HG21 HD camcorder. I also have a DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone, TL-H37 37mm 1.5x Tele Converter, Battery Pack BP-827 and a SANDISK EXTREME 3 16GB 30MB/S SDHC to go along with it.

This is my first Camcorder and I was adivsed to look into a Rode Video Mic as i shoot a lot of aviation. (at airports, airshows). I film for my self and family using a tripod.

I am a bit confused as to which video mic will work. I looked on the rode website and seen a couple of options. Also it looks like i will need another "converter" to fit it to my mini advanced shoe.

I like the DM-100 but don't have that much control over it. Can i have an expert maybe provide a link to the exact rode mic that will work with my camcorder.

Thanks. I look forward to becoming more a part of these forums.
Edward Klassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Your camera has a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) stereo minijack connector for an external mic. Either the Rode VideoMic (mono, records the same signal to both left and right channel in the camera) or the Stereo VideoMic would work just fine. You may have to get creative if you want to attach them to the camera mechanically - don't know what options are available to attach things physically to the camera's shoe - but electrically either one will plug right in to the external mic jack. There are a lot of other options as well - any battery-powered mic such as the Rode NTG-2 can plug in by using an XLR-1/8 adapter cable. Finally, spending a couple of hundred dollars on a preamp/adapter such as a Juicedlink that provides phantom power will let you use virtually any mic on the market.

Do be aware that directional mics such as the Rodes, even the professional level shotgun mics, aren't a panacea for getting great sound. One major issue for mics on the camera is the all mics, even professional shotguns, need to be close to the sound source - certainly less than 3 feet away, preferrably less than 2 - in order to give optimum results on speech. The camera position that gives you the pictures you want is almost never going to where a mic should be placed for best sound pickup. You mentioned airshows - an on-camera mic might be fine for getting the sounds of a takeoff or a flyby but if you want to record an interview with the pilot after he lands, it's probably not going to work so well.
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Your camera has a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) stereo minijack connector for an external mic. Either the Rode VideoMic (mono, records the same signal to both left and right channel in the camera) or the Stereo VideoMic would work just fine. You may have to get creative if you want to attach them to the camera mechanically.
Thanks for the info and your reply. I will look into the VideoMic/Stereo VideoMic and see what i can work out with that. I didn't think there were that many options with sound. I am looking to attach a rode to the camera physically like my DM-100 but it might not work that way. I just got home from work so i'll mull over the info.
Edward Klassen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio