Okay, now I'm REALLY confused! :) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Nope...

I've been well taken care of! Thanks much though.

Just gotta get a sock and mount. Found something on the 'net about using air conditioning filter for a sock... some other stuff too... for now.

As for a mount... I'll probably looking at velcro or rubberbands... in the meantime.

Too much money spent... hubby is pissed (or will be when he sees my creditcard bill... $100 over what I told him I would spend).

Sigh...
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #32
Trustee

The K-tek KSSM with the soft rubber is the best shock mount for a short, light mic and about the most cost effective.

KSSM

the KSM and KSSM come in an economy configuration without the second angle adjustment. I've attached the link to K-Teks price list. You'll do better at Trew or B&H.

K-Tek price list

The standard mount is $135 and the economy (without the second adjustable knuckle) is $85 and available with a dual angle 3/8 thread (K-DA-SSM) or a hot shoe mount(K-CAM-SSM)

Linda for your current need, I'd say the economy with the shoe mount would be the most effective. Don't forget to ask for the soft rubber mount. There is a big difference, the soft mount is perfect and was developed for the CS-1.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryan!

For now, I will have to improvise. Got some ideas in the meantime... velcro, rubberbands. Velcro I can get at Jo-Ann Fabrics, or other places like that. Later on down the road I will take your suggestions and put them to use.

David Ruether has good suggestions regarding homemade windsocks, etc. On the web. can't think of the site. Funny, he mentions dvinfo.net. I don't see him as a member though.

Thanks again!
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Okay Oktava Guys...

Okay Oktava Guys...

I am using velcro strips in place of a shock mount til I get enough cash going again. Actually... it works well. I got a strip- about 1 " wide and 4" long on the Oktava. I put the matching strip right on top of the vx2000 mic. I then added 3 thick rubberbands for extra security. That'll work for now.

Windsock... I don't know if I can luck out as much finding a good substitute so I am probably going to have to get one before I get the shock mount. The wind is DEFINITELY an issue with this mic. It is VERY sensitive**

Matt... I read your writeup on the Rycote and Windtech. Good information. I probably would lean more towards the Windtech due to the fact that I have 4 cats and anything with fur or resembling fur gets quickly demolished or licked to death! I've been doing research and haven't reached any decision yet. Let me know what you guys think.

**The mic is great! It is so sensitive, it picked up the sound of my cat scratching himself, about 5 feet away from the mic.

Thanks again...
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #35
Trustee

Try sandwiching a piece of hard foam between the on camera mic and the Oktava.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #36
Trustee

A hotshoe to mic-thread adapter is also pretty cheap, $10 to $14 for a ready made one, less if you put together some parts from a camera store and a music store.
That wouldn't be a true shockmount, but it would allow you to use the clip that comes with the mic. And you could instantly remove it from the camera.
I'm going to have to order some wind protection soon, but for temporary use on interiors I'm using a screen from a mini-shotgun that came standard on an older camera. Any screen that goes on a mic that's 19mm in diameter will work. This includes lots of non-handheld Audio Technica's and other skinny mics. Even if it's from a long-shotgun, you can razor off a section from the front of 2 to 3 inches. This won't get you beyond a light breeze, but it's better than having the mic totally bare.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryan and Jay -

I will invest in a good shockmount soon. I thought it would be easier to substitute a windscreen... wrong! I didn't realize how sensitive this mic is. I've been messing a bit with foam from old sony walkman earphones. Kind of hard to work with. In the meantime...

What kind of windscreens are you looking at? I would probably not want to go over $50 at the MOST.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Strange idea:
On the BBC Online training site they recommend you use a condom on your mic when it's raining. I was thinking... would this work ok for wind too? (other than the looking really stupid part).

Strange idea 2:
Windscreens can be made with light meshy fabric (kinda like pantyhose). Would putting a similar material over the mic work ok?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #39
Trustee

Do a search of the board here for Oktava and you'll get a lot of info on a wide variety of regular foam, two-piece foam and Baby Ball Gag mini spherical zeppelins and their relative effectiveness and costs.
There's a pretty thick screen available fairly cheap:
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=SG%2D200&off=50
The SG-200 is of course still too long but you could easily cut it down to a 2 1/2 inch length.
This foam still wouldn't be as effective as the more costly units under high wind and it would probably cut the mic's high frequency response a lot under indoor conditions. I guess you could call it a cheap solution that would split the difference for all situations.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Thanks Glenn and Jay..

Glenn... hmm... verry interesting. Don't know about the condom though. ;) I am working on something today... taking the foam off of my crappy Sony mic. It maybe a bit snug though. Also will do some sewing from old sock material. Like I said... I don't want to improvise too long.

Jay... I originally did a search so I more thoroughly reviewed all the posts and have come up with some other possiblities from Windtech Thanks for the website... I'll be checking that out also.
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #41
Trustee

Matt- You mention the K-tek shockmount .Could you give me the model number for on camera mounting the Oktava? ( I looked on B+H and they have several models).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #42
Major Player

Here's the K-Tek mount that Beas and I both like:

Click HERE for the mount.

Then you need a hot-shoe adapter to mount it to your cam:

Click HERE for the adapter.

I used a short piece of 3/8" stud to join them... or run a half inch long 3/8" bolt through the top. You may want to tell the guys at Trew that you want to use that mount for on-cam. They're so helpful that I'll bet they can set it up for you to be totally ready to go out of the box. Sometimes it's amazing at the service you get for litterally just a few extra dollars.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #43
Trustee

I got a better look at the actual specs of a series of larger foam windscreens that I mentioned in a previous post.
The SG-1 screen would be the correct internal diameter for the Oktava. You'd still have to chop it down to the correct length, but the fit would be correct and it's a cheap, thick foam for those on a budget. They are also less expensive at B&H than Markertek.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio