Anyone tried the Rode ProCaster yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Anyone tried the Rode ProCaster yet?

Looking for a good (predominantly male) voice-over mic that will work with the Edirol R-09HR (so no phantom power from that). The ProCaster is way less than some of the mics I was considering, but seems to 'give good demo'.

Anyone tried/bought one yet?

And if you bought one, which extra mic would you get for a $AU? M1, M2 or M3?
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I had this choice and decided on the Podcaster because for narration I can go straight to the computer saving transfer time from my Sony D50.

So I haven't got the Procaster but I know Ken Sparks who does the RODE demo and he's very particular. That's his sound for sure and via a camera mic preamp, no eq.

He's in Sydney radio 2UEs studio where I worked at one time, the acoustics are designed for voice work and that plays a part too. Note the increased presence in his voice as he moves closer to the Procaster. Had to smile when he got started before the camera rolled, that's Sparksie, impatient as ever.

RØDE Microphones - Procaster

You'd need an XLR cable out to your Edrirol and a shockmount. I'd get the PSA1 arm, overtime it pays for itself.

The $1 M3 is very popular although you might prefer an NTG-3 shotgun for location work. It's hard to believe right now you can get that sound for just one dollar.

Cheers.
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

I'll be grabbing an M3 as the extrra mic as it's great as an all-round mic.

I'm also going for the Podcaster for my purchased mic, which I believe is just like the Procaster but with USB output directly out of the back of the mic. Absolutely brilliant idea.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The trouble with getting a USB mic is that you're them limited to only using it attatched to a computer, you can't hook it up to a mixer or recorder or any other audio gear in the future.
Jordan Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's true, you have to weigh it up. In my case the time saved by not going to an external recorder then xfering to the computer certainly makes it worthwhile and compact.

I find this portable booth also helps keep all it together, especially when you travel.

Harlan Hogan - Voice overs Narrations Commercials Promos

Cheers.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
I know Ken Sparks who does the RODE demo and he's very particular. That's his sound for sure and via a camera mic preamp, no eq.
I think that was the point at which I thought 'buy'.

I've got a Portabooth which I use for recording presenters' voiceovers though I don't like its audio 'coloration' with the R-09 or the anti-pop paraphernalia required to make it work with a Sanken CS-1 up close. I'm waiting for a 'Red' audio shield for the edit suite, which is where I imagined the ProCaster, but I guess it will sit in the Portabooth a lot, too.

I'm really excited by the ProCaster - I hope it's not just a PodCaster with an XLR, though I wouldn't feel short changed if it was.

I really hope that it's the equivalent of an EX1 - able to deliver large condenser sound with sweet dynamics at pocket-money prices. It should arrive in seven days...

Now I've got the enviable job of thinking what I can use my M3 for. Anyone tried it hanging over studio based talking heads? Will it do better than my AKG-230 for voxpops in noisy environments?
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I'm really excited by the ProCaster - I hope it's not just a PodCaster with an XLR, though I wouldn't feel short changed if it was.
The specs are a tad different but they're both designed for the same work, close up speech. As you know a lot will depend on your acoustic environment to get a nice presence for the voice.

What I do is when I record a great speech sound in the studio, archive a sample for quick reference for a future job where you're having trouble with the talents voice. Especially if the same talent comes back regularly, with new voices they don't always sound the same every time. Some sound better in the morning some in the afternoon. Never book anyone on a Monday morning and send long scripts out a week in advance so they can mark it up.

If I'm doing narration, I set everything up the night before and get straight into it after the 1st coffee. A nice malt before bed helps the voice too.

I use a foam pop filter, mainly to keep spittle out of the head of the mic. Over the years I've seen mic grills with holes eaten in 'em.

This is a handy site. Tutorials.

Quote:
The $1 M3 is very popular although you might prefer an NTG-3 shotgun for location work. It's hard to believe right now you can get that sound for just one dollar.
No Al you can't, the NTG-3 isn't included in the RODE $1 offer, no one here picked that up. Thanks Scott. Eight days to go.

Cheers.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Update to AU$1 mic offer from Rode

Well, my ProCaster will arrive around the beginning of September which is getting close to the deadline for what I promised regarding some VO work, but hey. No worries.

What had me really worried was that I would miss out on the amazing offer from Rode, getting one of three Rode mics for AU$1 if you purchased a qualifying mic in August. Seemed a bit rough if supplies were delayed.

Cut to the chase: Rode have extended the offer to the second week of September, so I - and anyone else still waiting on delivery - needn't fret and we will get our mics. M3, please.
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Trustee

ProCaster arrived today

... and it is awesome.

I tried the Podcaster a while back and wasn't insanely impressed but maybe it was the location.

The Procaster on the other hand, right out of the box, is perfect for me. I'll be recording 'emergency' voiceovers, audio for presentations on clients' site and the occasional podcast.

As for the XLR and the non-phantom power, it means I can use my Edirol R-09HR easily, it means I can use it straight into a camera, and crucially I can record 24/96 when I need to.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Matt, don't forget to register it for its 10yr guarantee and I'd buy a suitable pop filter to keep the head free from spittle. (no offence)

Cheers.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
I'd buy a suitable pop filter
Luckily, the mere act of going for the AU$1 Mic does the same as registering the ProCaster.

And as for the pop filter, luckily I have been initiated into the 'Stocking Top Club' - it is amazing what something so trivial looking does to pretty much any mic used within 9".

The blurb for the ProCaster may say it has a built-in pop-filter, but agree totally that it's just an 'insurance' rather than a 'feature'.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Well, my ProCaster will arrive around the beginning of September which is getting close to the deadline for what I promised regarding some VO work, but hey. No worries.
Hi Matt. Can you tell me about your experiences with Rode ProCaster? What are you recording to and what are the results? I'm asking, because I'm getting a very quiet sound from this mic and I don't know what audio device use it for it. I tried Lexicon Alpha and the result was very quiet sound.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Trustee

I've got mine plugged into an Edirol UA25 (old type), and it needs the pot wound up to about 80%, but from there it's good. From the edirol, it goes into SoundTrack Pro (finally usable at FCS3).

Note: this appears to be a copy of the RE-20, and so needs to be worked from about 2-4 inches, but it's not particularly directional or fussy.

The sound? Well, it's a bit harsh and metallic if you're used to getting stuff from more expensive mics, but it doesn't sound cheap. I've now got izotope's ozone 4 which helps fill in the gaps and handles what a pre-amp would do. A sound engineer could spot the differences, but in my line of work, it's good enough to get noticed in a nice way.

I'd kind of liken it to the difference between a MK66 and a 416. The former is harsh and unrefined when compared to the mid end, but streets above its price bracket. Will the difference be heard by your clients and audience? Well, if you're going for web and exhibition, probably not - the biggest difference would be in HOW you use it. Ozone does help, but some may say that's cheating (or doing what an expensive pre-amp would do but not in real time).

I wouldn't do VO work for broadcast on it, but it's worked out very well for what I need it for. Would I buy one if my current solution disappeared?

Yes.

Well, maybe I'd double the cost and go for an NT2 NOW because the whole venture into home-rolled VO is earning money.

But yes, secretly, I want a TLM103.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Could you please tell me what gain has your Edirol's mic preamp? It seems my Lexicon Alpha may not have enough total gain for the mic to drive it to full scale... (it offers a maximum of 50dB total gain while the Procaster's specs list it as having an output of -56dB when subjected to a 94dBSPL sound). I need to get about -12db sound from the Procaster for my work.

Last edited by Peter Berger; January 25th, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio