Best Audio set-up for a VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 29th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Best Audio set-up for a VX2100

Hello everyone. I just purchased a VX2100 and just landed a contract to produce TV segments for broadcast. I would be interviewing a lot of people for this project, but the things is, I am sooooo bad at sound recording.

I BADLY and DESPERATELY need your help guys. What would be the best audio set-up to produce BROADCAST QUALITY SOUND? Do i get an XLR adapter for my VX2100 and some lapel mics? Do i have to get external devices, like audio mixers and recorders? Any good brands? Help, i am so clueless!

By the way, no need to be too technical, just simply lay it out, like a crash course for sound recording dummies :)

Thanks
Joel Salindong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Welcome! Joel. I have used VX2000 before upgrading to DSR250. You need to get an XLR adapter for balance audio specially if you run a microphone with wire. Since you are doing a lot of interviews, you may want to buy a good shotgun mic. Anyways, we want to know how much is your budget so we can help you further.
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Hello Jun!

Wow i am sooo impressed that people in this forum are so helpful and respond so fast! :)

My budget is around 500 dollars for the whole audio setup. OK so i have to get an XLR adapter. What about a mixer? Also, is it a good idea to get a wireless lapel mic instead?

BTW Jun, I know some people who are Galinato. By any chance do you have roots in the Philippines? :)
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Joel, I'm originally from Philippines. If you are doing a one on one interview, you don't really need a mixer or XLR adapter. You only need a mixer if doing a discussion, say 3 or more persons. For one on one interview, get a combo wireles system or handheld wireless system. Browse B&H for wireless system.
You maybe interested in this package:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=227551&is=REG
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #5
New Boot

Jun,

Noted! will visit that website right now. Oh one last thing, someone suggested that i get a UHF Wireless mic. Is this any good?

Salamat!
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Joel, yes, get a UHF wireless. VHF is prone to drop-outs and interference, specially you are located in a city.
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Totally agree with wireless solution. I am using Senheiser 500 series wireless in almost 90% of ENG broadcast work. Having combination of lavalier and handheld mic is great. And yes, go with UHF one.
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:55 AM   #8
New Boot

Hello Darko,

Thanks for your help. People always tell me to get the Sennheiser brand. How much did you get your wireless mics? My budget is around 300 to 400 USD.

Just to clarify, a lavalier is the one you can pin on the interviewee's shirt right? And what is a lapel? shotgun? boom mic?

Sorry for being so clueless guys.

Joel
Joel Salindong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio