Name that Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 31st, 2004, 07:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Name that Mic?

I'm trying to find out the model of the shotgun mic that the big boys use when shooting a motion picture. It's the big grey looking one, i'd say about 9 inches in diameter(estimated), and rounded on both ends. Anyone know the make and model?
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:08 PM   #2
Trustee

What you're talking about sounds like a prop and certainly not a shotgun. Shotguns are usually 1/2" diaphrams or less and the capsules and extension tubes are between 19 and 25mm in diameter (25.4mm = 1 inch) The shotguns range from 7" in length for the Sanken CS-1 to 12 or so inches for the short guns. The long neumann, sennheiser MKH70,AKG CK69 all run 15 or 16 inches long.

Most shows that use the old large diaphram, side address condenser only use it as a prop. The talent is wired and boomed.

The Schoeps MK41 and the Sennheiser MKH50 hypercardoid, are the popular mics for dialog. they, like the CS-1 are 7" or less.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I know of the prop mics, I guess the grey thing is some sort of mic housing for wind, etc....
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4
Trustee

A rycote wind shield certainly isn't 9" in diameter. Maybe a stereo rig with a windjammer (merkin) mounted on it.
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's for the info Bryan, that's exactly what it is. I posted a thread on trying to record audio for my film projects using a powerbook. Any insight on how it may or may not work?
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio