Multiple Mic's.....? How do i... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Cantor View Post
I bought the BeachTek DXA-4P, which is custom-fitted to my Canon GL2. Its manual says to keep the switches on Mic (not Line) if I'm using two microphones, and to keep the trim controls all the way up to maximize signal-to-noise ratio. It also says that if I need to adjust audio during shooting, I should use the camera's controls, not the controls on the adapter.

>>>Yes Sara, you leave them up because that model Beachtek can only reduce the gain of a mic. It can not ever turn it up. That is a distinct disadvantage. In addition, you can not adjust properly either the Beachtek or camera levels while you're shooting without bumping the camera or making awkward moves. The Beachtek are mostly adapters for prosumer gear. They aren't real mixers because they don't do a lot of things a real mixer can do.

>>>My mixer has XLR outputs, but I have an adpater cable for working with camcorders that only have 1/8" stereo input jacks. The sound is much better than anhy Beachtek box.

I've got one Sennheiser Evolution 100-series, and one 300-series. They have the same microphone element, so they should capture the same sound pattern. But is there anything to look out for when using two microphones of different models?

>>> Well, as you surmise, expect them to be different; in both pattern and frequency response.

Thanks again - I'm so excited for the shoot on Saturday!

Sara
>>>Good luck with that. I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #17
New Boot

Easy question:

When I'm interviewing a pair of people, I'll keep the BeachTek on Stereo so that one mic records to the left channel, the other to the right.

But when I'm interviewing just one person, should I flip the switch to record that one mic in Mono? Or is Stereo still preferable?

Thanks!

Sara
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Mono mic. One voice to both channels works.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #19
New Boot

Thanks to all! The shoot went off without a hitch!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio