Are you curious just how good a DVX can sound? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Are you curious just how good a DVX can sound?

Hey guys... I can't believe I haven't heard more positive response from this clip... and a couple others like this.

A buddy of mine was practicing guitar with some friends and I asked if I could bring my gear. I was excited to finally push my mics and camera to their theoretical limit.

So here's a short clip of Elliot Genther warming up before he really got going... This clip is two NT1000s running into my DVX. It's nothing special regarding setup... it's a semi-live living room with a hardwood floor as the bottle of beer will attest.

If you've got some 7506s or really good headphones/speakers then you'll enjoy the detail of this clip. Later on I shut off the aquarium and computer that you'll hear... but this is fun for ALL the house sounds and EVERYTHING you can hear.

Click HERE to listen to Elliot Genther warm up.

Did you think you could get that much detail from a stock DVX and two mics? Is nobody impressed with this but me?
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Matt!

It sounds great again.
Stereo is a contribution to a live experience and reording details.

A strange setup (an practical idea from a profesional soundengineer: "Tom van der Hoff") took my attention. I think you will be interested. I was.

http://www.filmclubmaassluis.nl/arch...crofoontot.htm
It is dutch but you will see the pictures for understanding.

Another flimer tried this setup at:
http://www.global-dvc.org/Zandvoort%...20Journaal.htm choose videoclip 1 "AMEEZING ZANDVOORT REPORTAGE "
or directly videoclip 1

The surrounding was extremely noisy and It is amazing to see how the intelligibility is improved by this stereo setup.
The filmer did nothing special to improve this, just to test and see how the results would become.

Due to the used microphones this setup is very well suited for music recording as well!! The mics are part of the succes.

( Mic: Danish Pro Audio: DPA 4063 BM
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Jan... there's a standard stereo technique called ORTF in which each mic points out at a 45 degree angle from the center axis so that they are basically 90 degrees opposed. You then set up so the subject is straight off the centerline of the two mics.

As best I can tell this is what I was seeing in your link. Anytime you see a clip from me that says ORTF that's how the mics were positioned.

Thanks for posting that... I really enjoy stereo recordings and hearing what kind of sound people are getting.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio