And another! cheap boompole solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Wrangler

And another! cheap boompole solution

... thanks to whoever originally suggested this around here somewhere ... cuz it saved my butt.

Cheap $20 microphone stand, that conveniently unscrews from the base. Properly threaded for a shockmount, so there are no last minute arts and crafts projects.

For those times when you forget B&H closes at 2 PM on Fridays and your local rental shop tells you they're all out for the weekend :-p

Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

wow..that's a great idea.. i have use for a mic stand and a boom..
which shockmount are you using?

im thinking of getting the AT8415 shockmount, but need to confirm that it will work well with my DVX100A
Chris L. Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yup, I'm using the the AT8415, screws right onto the top of the stand.

The stand was from Guitar Center, it's the black Pro-line series with a heavy circular base. It also has a plastic clip on the bottom to hold the cable in place, and it telescopes to about 5-6 feet. I nixed the silver one, because it might accidentally reflect light into the scene.

Accessories:
You'll want to buy a rubber stopper at the hardware store so you don't mess up the bottom threading when you rest it on concrete. Screwing the stand back onto the base makes for a great way to store the "boom", plus it's a good setup for voice overs. Add a couple of rubber bands to hold the cable in place at the top and you're good to go. What a deal!

FYI: I've use the AT8415 on a VX2000, GL2, ZR40, and the Optura Xi, so it should work with your DVX100.
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thinking of something like this...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040809133819063115063131385019/g=live/product/reviews/base_pid=452061/rpp=10/
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Most of the tripod based stands DON'T allow you to remove the stand from the base. You'd need to get the one with a cast round base. This type will unscrew and allow you to use just the stand pipe.
I just received a short stand from Musician's Friend. It's the one that goes from 8 to 13 inches. I was very impressed for the sale price of $5 (don't know if that's still on but I think it runs til the end of August?) It's all black with duplex threads (3/8, 5/8), a good clutch, heavy tube with good base threads, a cable clip, nice base with nice rubber feet and the adjustment ring is really beefy.
Hopefully all their stands are of the same quality.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Jay.

I thought about the same after looking at a few tripods. Was hard to determine if they bottom could unscrew or disconnect easily.

I guess I'll wander into Guitar Center or another store to test the craftsmanship of the mic stands before buying one. I saw some scary reviews on musiciansfriend.com, but what more can you expect out of a $9-$15 stand I suppose.

Best to get something sturdy or plan to anchor it properly with a decent mic sitting atop.

Take care.
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Wrangler

Yeah, I agree, stay away from the cheap booms at Guitar Center. They are not very strong/sturdy.

The regular mic stand with the circular base is what you're looking for.
Old August 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Back to the boompole!

I use an extendable painter's pole, with a squash racket handle tape on the grip end and if the thread's correct on the mic end, screw a mic holder on (if not, superglue it on!)

It reaches over 3m, cost me $20 and is light as.
Doug Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #9
Wrangler

Instead of rubber bands which do have a tendency to break, use the elastic bands with the plastic balls at each end that are sold to hold pony tails and other hairdoos. Quick on and off and quite strong. The plastic balls are about 1/2" in diameter (12 mm)

I think they are called 'hair balls' in the audio trade.
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : Yeah, I agree, stay away from the cheap booms at Guitar Center. They are not very strong/sturdy.

The regular mic stand with the circular base is what you're looking for. -->>>

Just picked up a black Proline with circular base from GC for $20. Already put it to use as a short, straight stand and can see how this would make a sweet boompole.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio