Wireless Mic Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Mic Question

I have just purchaseed a SONY WCS-99 wireless mic system. I am a beginner using wireless. And I hope I purchased the right system!
My question is; the SONY WCS-999 comes with one mic, receiver, and transmitter. What do I need to purchase, or how do I connect another mic to the system for interviewing two people?

Thanks if you help, Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Wrangler

You cannot without buying another system.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Mike.

When you say cannot without buying another system. Do you mean I will need to buy another SONY WCS-99 wireless mic system and use that mic with the system mic I have already purchased, or buy a new system totaly, that is equip with two mic system. If so, what do you recommend.

Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:32 PM   #4

You'll need another system on another frequency. you can't/shouldn't feed 2 mics on one frequency to one receiver. Bad karma, bad practice, troubles ahead.
2 mics means 2 receivers, on 2 frequencies.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Major Player

ok, so we shouldn't do two transmitters on the same frequency to one receiver. But is it done and are there and applications, i.e ENG/documentary that will be forgiving with this?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Ng : ok, so we shouldn't do two transmitters on the same frequency to one receiver. But is it done and are there and applications, i.e ENG/documentary that will be forgiving with this? -->>>
Two transmitters on the same frequency will cancel each other out. The receiver, for all practical purposes, receives nothing. Actually, the receiver receives both signals, but can't process either with any kind of clarity. So far as I have experienced it has always been one transmitter per receiver. With wireless, there is little to no forgiveness.
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Ng : ok, so we shouldn't do two transmitters on the same frequency to one receiver. But is it done and are there and applications, i.e ENG/documentary that will be forgiving with this? -->>>

Only by accident and with very nasty sounding results. You need separate xmittters and receivers that operate on frequencies that are not antagonistic.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio