DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mke 300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/30998-mke-300-a.html)

Richard Tamayo August 25th, 2004 08:04 PM

Mke 300

I just have a quik question about the MKE300. I read on another post about this model being mono. I also read that an mono to stereo adapter may be purchased and used. Is this ok and safe to my GL2?

Mike Rehmus August 25th, 2004 09:37 PM

Yes it is safe.

Richard Tamayo August 27th, 2004 01:49 PM

I believe I am going to try the Azden SGM-1X. I may go with the beachtek dxa-4p also but I am not so sure yet. I will tell you why.
One is the cost. Second, I read a post about an adapter from one of our sponsers B&H having a Shure A96F adapter $36.
Can anyone elaborate on weather the shure adapter will convert the sound from mono to stereo? Does interference come into play by going the shure adapter way? B&H is closed already so I can't ask them till after the weekend. I am ready to buy and need to have the mic setup up and going in 7 days. Thanks for any input.

Peter Jefferson August 28th, 2004 10:35 AM

"Does interference come into play by going the shure adapter way?"

as its an analogeous connection, yes there will be some minor noise fluctuations..

the MKE output is dependant on the camera, some cams pick up a mono input signal (left) and automatically mix the right hcannel, while other cams dont..

there is no need fo ran adapter, as all u need to do is record into on channel, then mix it in post..

or u can always cut the cable and have the plug remade which is a simple task

one thing to note the MK300 DOESNT have a shock mount... so vibration is loud on this mic..

Dave Perry August 28th, 2004 10:50 AM

Regarding the MKE 300 shock mount. It actually does have shock absorption but it's built into the mic element housing itself. I have one of these and am buying another one as well. I was concerned about the lack of a traditional shock mount for this mic but after using it on my Optura XI hand held, I'm pleasantly surprised at no noticeable handling noise.

I bought mine on eBay for $65 and for the price, it's quiet a nice mic. VERY directional but the sound quality is not as good as one would obviously expect from a pro grade mic. In post, boosting the audio in the 150-160 hz range gives a little warmth and in the 15-18khz range nice highs can be brought out.

Bryan Beasleigh August 28th, 2004 12:22 PM

Just my opinion, but forgo the pricey adapters and use a 1/8 stereo x female XLR cable ($9.50 at B&H). Spend the extra money on a professional quality mic like the AT 835b or better yet the 897.

In a few years the Azden or the MKE300 will be in the trash or at the very least ythe top shelf of your closet. The AT will still be worth almost what you paid for it and working like a charm.

The MKE300 has a shoe adapter and not really a shock mount. It will transmit motor and handling noise. Anything less than a stand alone shock mount won't work properly.

If there's a doubt do a search on the MKE300.

Dave Perry August 28th, 2004 04:43 PM

No doubt an AT897, AT4073 or the like is far superior to the MKE 300. I use a AT4073 at work and it'd truly amazing.

However, the MKE 300 actually does have shock absorption built into it. Looking at it from the outside it is not noticeable but if you remove the wind screen, you can see the suspension for the mic element inside the housing. And to my amazement, it really works.

I don't think I would pay the normal $180 price for one, but for $65 I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

Bryan Beasleigh August 28th, 2004 06:37 PM

If you do a search on the MKe300 many people have complained about it's lack of proper isolation. . I don't doubt that the capsule is rubber mounted, that still doesn't ensure proper isolation.
As you say, it's a good deal for $65 and you do agree that at full price you wouldn't buy it.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited but just save someone some unecessary pain.

Dave Perry August 28th, 2004 07:38 PM

Bryan, you are correct and no offense taken.

Richard Tamayo August 29th, 2004 07:10 PM

"there is no need fo ran adapter, as all u need to do is record into on channel, then mix it in post.. "
Peter, when you refer to mix in post, do you mean editing it? Such as copy, paste the oen channel on a timeline?

Marty Wein August 29th, 2004 08:41 PM

Richard,
If you want to get the audio on both channels while recording, use the XLR female cable with the stereo mini male connector as Bryan recommended.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=160633&is=REG

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 29th, 2004 08:42 PM

Coming to the party late....but if you can afford just a little more cost for an AT 897, GO FOR IT! much better mic....much, much better.