Mke 300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mke 300

I just have a quik question about the MKE300. I read on another post about this model being mono. I also read that an mono to stereo adapter may be purchased and used. Is this ok and safe to my GL2?
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes it is safe.
Old August 27th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe I am going to try the Azden SGM-1X. I may go with the beachtek dxa-4p also but I am not so sure yet. I will tell you why.
One is the cost. Second, I read a post about an adapter from one of our sponsers B&H having a Shure A96F adapter $36.
Can anyone elaborate on weather the shure adapter will convert the sound from mono to stereo? Does interference come into play by going the shure adapter way? B&H is closed already so I can't ask them till after the weekend. I am ready to buy and need to have the mic setup up and going in 7 days. Thanks for any input.
Old August 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

"Does interference come into play by going the shure adapter way?"

as its an analogeous connection, yes there will be some minor noise fluctuations..

the MKE output is dependant on the camera, some cams pick up a mono input signal (left) and automatically mix the right hcannel, while other cams dont..

there is no need fo ran adapter, as all u need to do is record into on channel, then mix it in post..

or u can always cut the cable and have the plug remade which is a simple task

one thing to note the MK300 DOESNT have a shock mount... so vibration is loud on this mic..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Regarding the MKE 300 shock mount. It actually does have shock absorption but it's built into the mic element housing itself. I have one of these and am buying another one as well. I was concerned about the lack of a traditional shock mount for this mic but after using it on my Optura XI hand held, I'm pleasantly surprised at no noticeable handling noise.

I bought mine on eBay for $65 and for the price, it's quiet a nice mic. VERY directional but the sound quality is not as good as one would obviously expect from a pro grade mic. In post, boosting the audio in the 150-160 hz range gives a little warmth and in the 15-18khz range nice highs can be brought out.
Old August 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Just my opinion, but forgo the pricey adapters and use a 1/8 stereo x female XLR cable ($9.50 at B&H). Spend the extra money on a professional quality mic like the AT 835b or better yet the 897.

In a few years the Azden or the MKE300 will be in the trash or at the very least ythe top shelf of your closet. The AT will still be worth almost what you paid for it and working like a charm.

The MKE300 has a shoe adapter and not really a shock mount. It will transmit motor and handling noise. Anything less than a stand alone shock mount won't work properly.

If there's a doubt do a search on the MKE300.
Old August 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #7
Major Player

No doubt an AT897, AT4073 or the like is far superior to the MKE 300. I use a AT4073 at work and it'd truly amazing.

However, the MKE 300 actually does have shock absorption built into it. Looking at it from the outside it is not noticeable but if you remove the wind screen, you can see the suspension for the mic element inside the housing. And to my amazement, it really works.

I don't think I would pay the normal $180 price for one, but for $65 I've definitely gotten my money's worth.
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #8
Trustee

If you do a search on the MKe300 many people have complained about it's lack of proper isolation. . I don't doubt that the capsule is rubber mounted, that still doesn't ensure proper isolation.
As you say, it's a good deal for $65 and you do agree that at full price you wouldn't buy it.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited but just save someone some unecessary pain.
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Bryan, you are correct and no offense taken.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

"there is no need fo ran adapter, as all u need to do is record into on channel, then mix it in post.. "
Peter, when you refer to mix in post, do you mean editing it? Such as copy, paste the oen channel on a timeline?
Old August 29th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Richard,
If you want to get the audio on both channels while recording, use the XLR female cable with the stereo mini male connector as Bryan recommended.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=160633&is=REG
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #12

Coming to the party late....but if you can afford just a little more cost for an AT 897, GO FOR IT! much better mic....much, much better.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio