A definitevely comparison between Sony UWP-C1 and Sennheiser Evolution G2 ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 28th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #1
New Boot

A definitevely comparison between Sony UWP-C1 and Sennheiser Evolution G2 ???

Hello,

I need to purchase a wireless lavalier mic and I have heard good reviews about either the Sony one (UWP-C1) and the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless series.

Can anyone recommend which is better. I dont' like the fact that the Sennheiser is non-diversity but I'm not sure about the quality of the Sony UWP.

Can I change the built-in mic of the Sony UWP for another one, let's say ECM-77 for example ?

What do you think is better? Sony UWP-C1 + ECM-77 or Sennheiser Evolution G2 + MKE2 lavalier mic ?

The wireless mics are for wedding video purpouses.

Thanks for your help.
Robert Mitteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #2
New Boot

any tips ?

Please, I have to make a decision. Which one wireless system would you go for a price range of $500-$700.

Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Robert... that's a tough call. Previously I would have said to go with the Sennheiser absolutely 100%.

Recently I heard an online test where a guy had both a Sennheiser and a Sony in his house and the Sony sounded a lot better.

The new G2 looks pretty nice, and other then a very few comments online I know nothing about the Sony.

Since you're already having a tough time deciding I hate to do this to you... but I'd probably go with the Audio Technica over either of those choices. It's $499.

Click HERE to see the Audio Technica wireless set.

And see if they can work a deal for you with the upgraded mic. The At-899 is already highly regarded as a really good sounding lav. Even at full price it's only $139.

Click HERE to see the At-899 lav.

Be sure to check the frequencies for your area! You don't want to get a system with a frequency block that's shared by some local TV stations! The odds of that ever being a problem in Spain are pretty low... but I would still try to be sure about it before laying my cash down.

Also just so you know... I've had experience with the AT system I'm recommending and I was very impressed with it. My own wireless sets are both Lectrosonics... so that's saying something.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Damn. This choice just keeps getting harder and harder. Matt, I'm aware of that audio test you're referring to, and I just can't accept it as the final word on the matter. The person who did it seemed very thorough and knowledgeable, and I don't doubt his results were on the level. He obviously tried very hard to make it a fair test. But the clips he posted from the Sennheiser weren't just kind of iffy -- they were completely unuseable. Might he have been running into problems that won't necessarily be encountered by the typical user? Maybe there was interference specific to his area or something. I don't claim to know much about it (in fact, I don't know anything about wireless systems). I just don't think that Sennheiser would market a product that defective, or that it would become so highly regarded by so many people. If the results were really that consistently bad, no professional would use the Evolution series in any capacity, and yet a lot of people seem to.

I like the looks of the AudioTechnica (the Sony strikes me as just a little too far on the consumer side of things), but one thing I really liked about the Sennheiser was the ability to accept a line input. Looking at the specs for the AudioTechnica, that doesn't seem to be possible with this system. Am I correct? I would like to use a wireless rig in combo with a SoundDevices MM1. The input on the AudioTechnica is listed as TB5M. Is that a proprietary connector or something?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah I found that Sennheiser test hard to believe also. There HAD to be some other issue going.

I've personally used the AT and it worked really well, but in fairness it didn't have to go more then 40' or so. The actual sound quality was really good and the diversity was instantaneous... so my feelings about it were all good. If I had to buy a new wireless system right now that would be the one I'd get. Perhaps it's splitting hairs and all of 'em in this range are good... I just don't have enough experience with a variety to really say for sure.

The mic connector on the unit I used was a ta5f... same as my Lectro units use. I'm not familiar with the other one you mentioned.

Most wireless bodypack units use one of a few different connectors... I wish they'd standardize it. Then the ouputs from the reciever are usually either a mini-jack or XLR.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #6
Wrangler

I've used my Senns over a distance that was about 1/4 mile, outside in clear line of site. The only things I find will interfere with the Sennheisers are cell phones (they will get almost any other brand as well) and heavy electrical spikes like closing a breaker on 20 Kwatts of stage lighting.

I normal use, especially weddings, I don't have a problem.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Mike,
Is that the more expensive Senns or the G2?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #8
Wrangler

The original Evolution which has been replaced by the G2.
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

If you compare the specs of the Sony against the Senny, you'll see that the Senny's are much better.

The value of diversity anytennas on a unit as small as the Sony is dubious at best. At 650 MHz, a 1/4 wavelength is approx 9 inches. The distance between the antennas is only a about 2". Even then, Sony is not employing a "true"
diversity system.

The G2 is very advanced for it's price and size, with frequency scanning and other high end features.

The AT, on the other hand, is the only low cost system to use an actual XLR output connector as well as a standardized transmitter input connector (the TA5f), it is a "true" diversity system, and uses metal construction.

If the pro connecotrs, construction materials and diversity is important to you, go with the AT. If you don't need a balanced output (DV cams) and want a smaller, lighter system, go with the G2.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:54 AM   #10
Major Player

Before the G2 came along I enthusiastically recommended the Audio Technica wireless to everybody... and it's still a great unit... but now that the G2 is out, and I got a chance to use one (last night) I'm definitely going to steer people that way.

My overall impression of it was VERY good. It's a super-polished system... like I said in another thread... you'll smile everytime you get it out of the bag.

With other systems I wouldn't consider mounting the receiver on-cam... anywhere. With this one I thought I was looking at 2 transmitters and NO receiver... I thought, "what the hell?"... but then I quickly saw that the tiny transmitter and tiny receiver are the same... almost identical.

The G2 system is very trick indeed... I absolutely loved it. If you're not getting nuts on range, and NOBODY ever needs the range they wanted before buying a wireless, the G2 may be all you'll ever need.

I used to be wowed by 100 meter recordings of great sound... I'm really not anymore because all you really need is a reliable 50 feet... and who knows, the G2 may do the 100 meter recordings anyway? All I know for sure is that it sounded great at the distances I normally need a wireless for... and, AND it was an absolute JOY.
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM   #11
Wrangler

I use the UWP-C1 with an optional ECM-77. I'd have to say stock vs stock the Senny has the edge. But add the ECM-77 and I think the Sony will sound better. I can't even describe how much better the ECM-77 sound compared to the supplied pseudo ECM-44! Sounds very rich and clear....more dynamic range.

Only problem is the ECM-77 is like $200 last I checked (maybe more).
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM   #12
New Boot

apart from the mic...

Glen, apart from the mic, which transmitter-receiver is better ?

How do you attach an ECM-77 to the UWP-C1 pack ?

Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #13
Major Player

Finally what I've been looking for info on

I'm also interested in this (still making my purchase decisions), ignoring the mics as this has a large impact on the sound, what is the reliability of the transmitter and receiver from Senn and Sony?

I would like to know more about what Marty was saying with the Sony not being a "true" diversity system. Considering it's marketted and touted as having that over the Sennheiser - and what implications does this have?

Basically, what is the difference in reliability? Is the G2 worth the extra? - although they probably even out if you upgrade the Sony mic. And how good is the mic on the G2 kit to start with?

thanks, Andrew
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hood
I would like to know more about what Marty was saying with the Sony not being a "true" diversity system. Considering it's marketted and touted as having that over the Sennheiser - and what implications does this have?
I'd like to hear Marty's explanation of this as well.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #15
Regular Crew

If a design utilizes dual receivers (a requirement for "True" diversity), the specifications would say so, as it would be a marketing advantage. Pseudo-diversity, where a single receiver circuit is switched between two antennas by some criteria, are given various names. Sony uses "Space Diveristy" , though they do not explain what that means.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio