Audio Computer Questions: Monitor, Sound Card - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #16
Regular Crew

for that much isnt it better to get the Behringer Truth's? They're both $299. I've heard great things about the truths, plus they have a (8.75 in.) woofer. bigger than the BX5's 5 1/4"
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi,

Are you talking about the B2030A? I've found it in NZ for cheaper than BOTH the Tannoy Reveals AND the M-Audio BX5's... for some reason I can't find Yorkvilles here, so looks like I'm gonna dismiss it.

So which one is it going to be? Behringer Truths (active) or M-Audios? I think I'm definitely going to go with active ones, saves me a lot of trouble...

Thanks for the information about the manual Bryan, it's cleared a few things up for me.

Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #18

For me, I'd get the M-Audio. I'm not a fan of much Behringer does, but their speaks may be bigger, but bigger doesn't add anything to a small room overall. In fact, bigger can be sloppier in many cases.
I freely admit I'm an M-Audio fan, their stuff holds up well, sounds great. People around the world have heard my SPB5's, the forerunners to the BX5's, since we tour with them regularly.
To get much better than these, you have to take a significant jump, IMO.
No, they surely aren't the Hothouse speaks, and they're not even the Mackie 628 either. But they are a great monitor, with a very punchy and sweet amplifier, they don't fatigue the ear like Yamaha's or Genelec's will, they are solid, heavy, and compact.
Put them on a pair of Auralex MoPads, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
Add the sub for even more fun, but be cautious, because subs can create more trouble if you don't set them up correctly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #19
Trustee

Size isn't everything ;-). I'd stay with the M-Audio or Tannoy.
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #20
Trustee

Dennis, have you thought about ordering from overseas? That way you could probably get a better monitor for the same price.

Aaron
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Yeah I have, but no matter how I see it, I just seem to think that local-support/backing/security is important for these large purchases. I've just found a good deal on the BX5 - about 80% of the original price. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Dennis
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #22
Trustee

There is much to be said for that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you can put a face on a supplier. I've often paid extra to buy locally and usually feel good about it
Old September 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #23
Trustee

Agreed Dennis and Bryan, but when paying twice as much with some gear you tend to second guess whether that face is important ;)

Aaron
Old September 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #24
Trustee

I've never had to pay twice and i wouldn't. I agree and if you recall I'm willing to help find you some deals.
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:21 PM   #25
Regular Crew

This is probably moot issue by now...

I would definitely go with the M-Audio powered speakers. In truth, the Tannoys probably sound more flat and boring (which is what you want), but they are passive. This means that you will have to buy a power amp like the popular ones from Hafler and Alesis. They run about $200 new for the amps. So add $200 onto the price of the speakers. This is a more flexible setup, but if price is the issue, I would go with those M-Audios. I would NOT buy the Behringers! Most of Behringers stuff is sub-par, though they do make a few pieces of really nice stuff for cheap. For example, the Behringer mixers are horrible. Really bad pre-amps. Good enough for mixing narration, but not when you r are going for tone like a vocalist, guitarist, drummer, etc. Their patch panels are really nice. Their ECM-3000 small diphragm condensor is like $35 and a really great deal for the price. It works nicely as a basic room/ambiance mic when on a budget. However, speakers, mixers from Behringer I would try to stay away from.

Other monitor brands that are nice for budget prices

Tannoy
KRK
Triple-P
Event (though I don't know if they have any budget ones).

If you can find a pair of Yamaha NS-10s for under $400, run - don't walk, to get those! NS-10s are basically a studio standard. However because they haven't made them for a long time and the demand is higher than every with people running project studios, their price has gone up. It is hard to find a pair of NS-10s for less than $500. Triple-P Pyramid speakers are about as close to NS-10s as you are going to get. They are really cheap and nice (and look cool), but again these are ALL *UNPOWERED* passive speakers, so add $200 to the price.

BTW, a friend here just bought an Alesis 150 watt power amp for his Event speakers on eBay for $120 and it is in perfect condition, so there ARE deals to be had.

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM   #26
Regular Crew

how about the m-audio dx4? those sound any good?
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:11 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi, sorry guys for not replying sooner. Anyway, I've decided to get the M-Audios, they should arrive tomorrow. I'll definitely post up to tell everyone how it all goes (including setting up the computer, sound card, etc.). This is really my first experience dealing with this kind of gear, so it's all pretty exciting...

Dennis
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:06 AM   #28
Trustee

Hey Dennis, congratulations. Hope all goes well and I look forward to hearing an update.

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio