XLR and radio mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 16th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

XLR and radio mics

Ok, if you have read my previous posts in this section, you'll know of my limited understanding of this field.

I just bought an MA300 mic adaptor for my XM2. It allows me to use an XLR connection which is running from my radio mic receiver.
I was previously just connecting via mini jack. This gave me stereo, both left and right channels.

Now I'm using this adaptor, I noticed that I have an option of using either left XLR Channel or right XLR input. So the audio coming from my mics is now only mono when it reaches the camera.

Will this be of a dis-advantage to me?

Also, I presume that this means that I can get a mini jack to XLR adaptor for my MKE300D microphone, and then put that in the other XLR socket. Then I could use the "in camera" controls to ajust sound levels. So i could have two mics connected.
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #2
Fred Retread

I'm guessing that the wireless receiver is only handling a mono signal, and the mini plug you were using distributed the mono signal to both channels. The MA300 will not, hence the single channel performance.

To put the MKE300 in the other channel, mini female to 3-pin XLR male adaptor cables are readily available in lengths ranging from one to twenty five feet. Don't be surprised if the lower impedance of the MA300 (as compared to the camera's mic imput jack) leads to a weaker signal than you're used to from that mic.

But yes, you will then have left and right channels adjustable with the camera's controls.

As you probably know, you can't use the MA300 and the camera's mic jack at the same time.

Frankly, if the MA300 were returnable I'd return it and get a BeachTek DXA-4P, which is more versatile, for about the same price.
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree, the BeachTek would be a better way to go. It has a mono/stereo switch that can send a single mic input to both left and right channels, or can send it to just one channel so that you can use a second mic or input on the other.

-Troy
Troy Tiscareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. I could return the MA300, but i think that it will be fine for all my needs.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

Is there some reason you do not want to fix this in post? Most NLE packages allow you to select either track to be output to both tracks. You may find one day that you might want to another mic on the other track.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Fred Retread

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Lewis : Thanks guys. I could return the MA300, but i think that it will be fine for all my needs. -->>>

Lots of people use them, and they do have that built in shock mount. If you later want to use a line level feed you'll have to use separate attenuators, whereas that choice is just a toggle switch on adaptors like the BeachTek. But as long as you're armed with good information (the giving and receiving of which is why we're all here), you're the best judge of what's best for you.
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm quite proud of myself today....

I went to Maplin Electronics and bought some wire , an XLR male, and a 3.5mm mini jack female. When I had blindly finished soldering, I tried it. ...And IT WORKED!!

So now I've mounted my MA300 back on the top of the adapter and now I have audio from both that and my radio mic on seperate channels.

Couldn't have done it without you guys. I'm well chuffed :D

AND NOW I'VE JUST TURNED INTO A "MAJOR PLAYER", this day is getting better :)
Old September 18th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Fred Retread

Great, Richard, congrats!

I am curious, though, whether the signal level of the mic actually was reduced as compared to inserting into the camera's jack. Do you notice anything?
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #9
Major Player

I've not noticed anything considerable, but then audio is not my primary field.
It seems to be performing as prior to the conversion.

I have yet to test everything fully yet, but I shall post something in a few days with my findings.

I do think that the ability to use two audio channels is a great asset.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio