New Beach Tek DXA-10 stereo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 1st, 2004, 01:31 PM   #1
Trustee

New Beach Tek DXA-10 stereo

Fed Ex just brought me a Beach Tek DXA-10.

Same size as the other units but it doesn't attach to the camera. It comes with a belt clip and could be camera mounted using an accesory bracket.

My first impressions are, what a well thought out little whizbang.

The biggie with the DXA-10 is that it's made for the consumer mini disk , flash and hard drive recorders.

It has XLR inputs with separately switchable 48volt phantom and 2 stages of gain (30 and 60 db) The outputs are 2 RCA's at a max output of +18 db or a mic 1/8 stereo mini output at -37db.

With this setup you could feed a camera or other high level recorder using line input or a consumer camera or recorder at mic level through a simple 1/8" mini stereo cable.

This has most of the bases covered, it's light and it's inexpensive. it wouled also be a natural for the Edirol unit.

For pictures look here

2 balanced XLR inputs

2 line level RCA outputs
mic level stereo mini jack output (3.5mm or 1/8")

Dual low noise preamps with +/-15 volt rails for wide dynamic range
Hi/Low gain setting for condenser and dynamic type mics (30 and 60db)

Dual switchable 48volt phantom

9 volt battery compartment with LED battery indicator
removeable belt clip

Gain switchable: Hi (60dB) Low (30dB)
Freq response 20-20Khz, -1dB
THD+N > .03% @1khz 9lo gain +4dBu output
Signal to noise 66@1khz +4dBu

Max output+18dBu (RCA)
-37dBu (mini)

Phantom Dual rtegulated 48 volt (current to 14ma)

battery 9 volt good for 4 yours (no phantom)

Current draw120ma (no phantom)

Case is powder coated aluminum
5.25"Lx3.5"Wx1.25"h

Wt 14 oz
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Bryan does this work well with your Winter mod? What about the lack of limiters? If i remeber correctly you said before that it was very hard to clip the input stage with the mod to your VX.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Trustee

I haven't got that far yet. I just received the unit about an 2 hours ago and i'm not to mobile yet. I had knee replacement surgurey about 7 weeks ago and my right knee is still bone on bone. i'll get to it ;-)

Out of the box, the size and configuration really impressed me, especially the outputs (mini and RCA and at 2 different levels)
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:03 PM   #4
Major Player

No problem. Take your time. I'm looking forward to your results. I can remember 8th grade health class they showed us a knee replacement video or some knee related surgery and to this day those images haunt me. I think it was watching the knee just split open under the knife.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Trustee

I should've setup my camera and taped it. the OR looked more like a shop with all the hand and power tools. The Beas knees on video.

Matt why don't you emsail me with some test suggestions
bbeasleighat rogersdotcom.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM   #6
Trustee

Brian,
How much is it? I don't see it on bh yet. No limiters, I assume. I'm kinda vascilating between the mix pre and the 302 at this point.
feel better.
bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Trustee

It's supposed to sell for the same price as the DXA-8. It hasn't hit the stores yet, the unit was shipped directly from the factory (in Canada not offshore)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio