Field Recording Using multi Channel Recorder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 4th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Field Recording Using multi Channel Recorder?

Has anyone tried multi-channel field recording using anything like a Fostex DF150, KorgD1600 or Tascam2488?

I currently do two channel recording straight to a PDX10 and often wish I could pull more channels pre-fader from the mix board before the sound engineer processes the sound.

Much of my work is around musicals and the house mix of the playback track Vs: the wireless mics isn't the same as the mix I would like to have on the video. Getting the sound engineer to set up a vocals group against the sound track is dicey at best so I'm thinking that maybe I try to capture FOH on one track (as a reference and fall back) and the vocals and music tracks separately.

Any thoughts?

You mean I can get paid to do this?
John Cloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Find a better sound engineer.?

I know, you usually get who's there. Thought I'd try it.

Instead of mixing it in post what about getting a small board and taking those extra inputs that you want and mixing it at the event as a sub-mix. Then the house can do the mix that they like and you can mix it as you think it needs to be for video. The drawback is that you'll need a dedicated sound person for the event if you go that route.

The other option is to do exactly what you say. But I don't do it that way because of the time involved. If it's a live event I do everything possible to make sure that things happen then and there. If I have to go back and work the mix in post then that adds a lot of time to the overall project.

But if you have trouble getting it to happen live and you have the time to work with the tracks later then it's a good option to do what you're talking about and record it to a multi-channel field recorder.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I loved my Korg D12... except for the fact I needed an AC outlet. If it had a battery pack, I would still have it today.
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I loved my Korg D12... except for the fact I needed an AC outlet. If it had a battery pack, I would still have it today. -->>>

Did you find something multi-channel with a battery pack that you liked?

Old October 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Major Player

It sounds like you only need that type of multi-channel recorder for musical production work so why worry about a battery pack? You can always get ac at the venue.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I was using the power at a concert, and it kept going out. And what happens to un-saved info on a hard drive when you lose power? It goes from 0's and 1's to just 0.

John- Still looking for a replacement. I like the Alesis Deva, but can't squeeze the $15,000 dollars they cost.
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If you have a laptop, you can turn it into a multi channel recording with a firewire/USB sound interface. i.e. m-audio firewire 410. many products out there...
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : If you have a laptop, you can turn it into a multi channel recording with a firewire/USB sound interface. i.e. m-audio firewire 410. many products out there... -->>>

I have been doing that straight into the mic jack on the laptop. I am reluctant to keep bringing my laptop (a high-end ThinkPad that is also my primary NLE editing station) out to venues where I can't keep my eye on it the whole time. At least if I lose/break a multi-track recorder I'm not out of business entirely.

jc

Old October 5th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

You can find ADAT machines on eBay for reasonable prices. 8-tracks - SVHS tape format, rackmount, self contained, and meant specifically for your purpose.

The ADAT data may then be transferred directly to a P.C. or Mac via a number of ADAT interfaces from vendors like MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) and M Audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio