K6-CL for DV cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 10th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

K6-CL for DV cameras

I purchased a K6 module for use with my Sennheiser ME667 and ME64 mics and consistently got overloaded audio with my DVX-100 when recordind louder subjects like motorcycle and car exhausts. Everyone told me that I was doing something wrong but then I got in touch with an audio place in Canada.

The guy very matter of factly stated that the K6 module was designed for higher end camera's than the sub $5,000 DV models and that it's signal was too hot for my DVX's pre-amps. He asked why I did not purchased the K6-CL which had an 18db pad built into it. Naturally I did not have an answer. Well for about $40 Canadian dollars he built me an XL-R cable with the 18 db pad built into it. My audio does sound cleaner but I wonder if everyone else who mentions K6 really means K6CL or if everyone is using padded cables like my custom built one or maybe everyone is getting hot audio and doesn't realize it. The difference is really only noticeable on loud subject. With dialog, I never had an issue.

Am I the only person that had not heard of the attenuated K6 until recently?

Greg
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Trustee

It's been mentioned several times. The use of a fixed or variable pad has been mentioned as well. Pinpoint accuracy ain't necessary, within a couple of dB and you're OK.

The K6 hot output is required by some cameras with a less than perfect preamp.

Buy a variable and you have a fair bit of flexability. You may have to pad the K6/ME66 down even more in a loud venue.

The AudioTechnica variable 10, 20 or 30dB pad is approx $40 Single value pad can be bought for$15

The Shure A15-AS 15, 20 or 25 dB variable attenuator

Jay Rose has a PDF on making your own pad.
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. In addition to my -18db cable I also own the AT barrel attenuator. I prefer the built in method as it is less clumsy but the varaible setting of the AT is also nice. I may pick up one of the Sure's since the AT jumps in 10db increments and that is more than necessary some times.

Greg
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Ain't it funny how the $40 gizmos make the $400 plus mics so much more useable. Man never has enough "stuff"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio