Motor Noise Examples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #1
Tourist

Motor Noise Examples

Greetings,

I am looking for audio examples of motor noise capture when recording with a camera (camcorder). I found some pages on the net which had some but the links don't seem to work.

Would it be possible to have some examples uploaded? Preferably uncompressed audio format (AIFF, WAVE) and 44.1kHz and upwards. If web space/storage is a problem let me know and I can host them on my site for others as well. Would be nice to have the model numbers as well to make a few comparisons.

Thanks in advance!
Aristotel
Aristotel Digenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #2

what kind of motor noise? You mean from the camera itself? Or noise from motors in the proximity of the camera? I've got quite a catalog of motor noises, but none of camera motors. I don't ever use the built in microphone.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Major Player

have a look here

http://www.findsounds.com/

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #4
Tourist

By motor noise i am talking about the camera's motor, as in the turning of the tape etc. There seem to be quite a few reviews on cameras and their motor noise, as well as people discussing how one can try removing/attenuating it in post production. I would like to try it myself. findsounds.com does not seem to have any (even though thanks for the link cause that is a nice search engine!).

So...anybody have any tapes whihc were recorded using the camera's built in Mic? Perhaps 10 seconds on DV?

Old October 12th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Aristotel,
It seems you want to try to remove a sound that you do not have. Is that right?
I can help with the remove part. There is a program called Sony Noise Reduction. It works as a plug-in to many audio editors. It is very good for removing static noise like that of motors, air conditioners etc. It is also good for restoring the sound of vinyl records when you want to burn them to CD.
Now the have part. If you want to have a go at removing motor noise, make a recording - say, of speech - next to a refrigerator, a dishwashing machine, a food processor, a parked car with running engine, a shaving machine. Or does it have to be a camera sound? What about your own?
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #6
Tourist

Hello Tor,

I am aware of noise reduction plug-ins. Actually I am an audio software developer. I am looking specifically for camera motor's noise to experiment with, and unfortunately do not own a camera, hence my post.

Thanks!
Old October 12th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Tourist

Hi There, (my first post :D)

I have just purchased the Sennheiser MKE300 and have been testing it with my Sony DCR 330 camera and Im having problem with the motor noise. I can send you a wav file if you want...?
(sory my bad english)

Regards
Em
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:06 AM   #8
Tourist

Many thanks to Majeed Khan for providing some audio clips with motor noise. I have made them available at the following address for anybody else interested.

http://www.digenis.ws/mic_test.zip

(48kHz, 16bit, WAV)
Aristotel Digenis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio