Cable/Boom pole noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Cable/Boom pole noise

Hi All,
I have a shock mount (AT 8415) mounted on a boom pole for my ME66. Touching the XLR cable or pole transfers the noise to the mike. Is there an easy way to isolate the shock mount/mike assembly from this noise?

Thanks for any help.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Generally speaking, when using a shockmount, almost all the handling noise that's still picked up is transmitted through the cable. Using thinner limp cable is helpful. It's also very important to rig the cable properly. This includes fixing it to the pole near the mic with a small piece of gaffer's tape and creating a 3-inch loop in the cable before it reaches the mic. The loop shouldn't touch itself, use the natural coil of the cable to create a slight spiral. You can do this by rotating the mic in the shockmount til the cable is correctly positioned. If you have an externally cabled pole, wrap the cable snugly around the pole once every 2 feet. Continue this all the way to the rear hand grip so you can hold it along with the pole. I will usually tuck the cable into my belt so it is supported loosely while raised.
If you have an internally cabled pole, then you're at the mercy of how well your pole was created and how carefully you handle it.
In cooler weather I wear fleece gloves. If you've made your own pole, neoprene bicycle grips can be added to help dampen noise.
With the AT8415 and a longer mic like the K6/ME66, you have to criss-cross the horizontal bands at the front and rear in order to give enough support and keep the mic from moving around too much. With smaller mics I only criss-cross the front horizontal bands.
Lastly you still must handle the pole carefully to prevent all noises. Wind protection is important too, not only for wind, but also because the diaphragm moving in still air is a component of what causes handling noise. It isn't 100% mechanical transmission of the vibration, but also that the mic is moving slightly in the air when you handle the pole.
Using bass rolloff can help too, but on the ME66 this switch affects up to 250hz. This is too high except in extreme conditions.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hair Balls also work to hold the cable to the boom. Hair balls are those elastic bands that are made for holding women's hair in something like a pony tail.

The band is in a loop and the ends are each embedded in a plastic ball about 3/8" in diameter. You get 50 or so for around $10 or less in the hair department of the local drug store.

When you use a blimp, you use the position of the balls to tell you which is front and which is rear.

A wireless transmitter on the rear of the microphone also kills the noise because there is no wire. Works well with students and the untrained.
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Mike...I use the "bongo ties" from EVS to hold the cable to the pole. I'll try a longer loop at the mike end.
I remember seeing some sort of rubber isolator gadget along the length of a boom pole on a set a while back. Thought it might be a readily available item as it didn't look homemade.
I'll also try the cable wrap suggestion.
Thanks again.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio