AA Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AA Batteries

What will drive my senn wireless lav mic's longer, Rechargable AA's or regular Energizer/Duracels?

-Jonathan
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #2

NEVER use rechargeables in a wireless system.
Go to Costco or Sams Club and buy the huge packages of 50 AA's. Cheap, and well worth it.
Some wireless systems won't warrant their gear if you use rechargeables.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Not only can you use NiMH AA rechargables with the G2, Sennheiser even has recargable battery packs available for them (but why go proprietary?).

We aren't talking about NiCads here, which are obsolete. NiMH rechargables actually are capable of holding MORE power and sending MORE current than alkalines are. The only place I'd advise using something else is in extreme cold weather, where you're better off with lithium batteries that aren't as affected by it as either alkalines or NiMH.

Definitely get AT LEAST 1800 mAh batteries minimum. I believe the current top batteries are 2300 mAh, but it could be even higher now, as it seems to go up every few months.

I ran a pair of 2000 mAh batteries in my G2 lav transmitter for 6 straight hours and still had plenty of juice left (batt indicator was still full, and the batteries went into my cordless mouse, which ran for a week off the remaining charge).

Things change, DSE.

-Troy
Troy Tiscareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Skyonic New York

i'm with doug on this one, i have yet to use a rechargable i trust, they seem to die down pretty quick even though they down't completely die, nothing like the smell of fresh batteries...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:15 AM   #5

I realize the G2 allows hydride batteries. I've also experienced problems in 3 different venues with the G2. I'm amazingly unimpressed with this overhyped wireless.
Of course things change. I get more airtime out of my laptops than ever before, more airtime out of my com units than ever before, etc, etc. and those are all rechargeables.
If anything, I'm far from being a Luddite.
I stand by what I said earlier, some wireless companies will not warrant or support their systems if rechargeables are used.
If you want to take the risk of the batteries gaining memory, and they all do, or the leaks that rechargeables are often known for, go for it. Losing audio signal during a shoot is a little more traumatic than having my laptop battery die when flying.
On the other hand, I'll follow what has always worked for me, and is still the standard of large format production houses and broadcast stations. Alkaline.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:48 AM   #6
Old Boot

I use rechargable AAs in my Mouse - PERIOD!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Trustee

I have about 100 or so AA cells on my shelf and they're cheap. I can't be bothered playing with rechargeables especially for what the disposable alkalines cost.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK... I'm adding up the post count tally on this issue and I guess I stick with my disposables. Thanks for the help. I recently saw the 2500mah rechargables and thought that was pretty strong though...
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #9
New Boot

NiMH & Wireless (radio) microphones

I have done some extensive testing of NiMH batteries with Sennheiser, AKG & Sony wireless mic's. The results can be viewed on my website at http://www.soundandmusicco.com/nimh.htm
Vinny Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #10
Major Player

I've been using NiMh in all my Sony wrt series wireless, Beyer U400 wireless, wendt mixers, HHB md500, etc... all my field production gear for several years. For me, it is an environmental matter, alkalines generate a lot of waste and should be dispossed of properly - to a hazardous waste company. NiMh chemistry is a green product.

I keep alkalines for backup in the kit, but have never gone to them.

Of course, batteries are removed and charged daily, but I'd be replacing alkalines, too. They have an in service date, device, and order number written on them and are rotated out before the charge drop gets to be an issue. I've had more problems with Durecell alkalines leaking than I've had with high quality NiMh cells.
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I've also experienced problems in 3 different venues with the G2. I'm amazingly unimpressed with this overhyped wireless.
?

[slightly off subject] run-time problems? ...or other? Just currious because I've not heard too many critics with this piece of hardware.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
?

[slightly off subject] run-time problems? ...or other? Just currious because I've not heard too many critics with this piece of hardware.
Wow! There is an old thread regurgitated. :-)

Before this system was released, there was a great number of anticipatory posts, so upon arrival at the DC Convention Center, and knowing that they'd just installed these, I was expecting great things. I couldn't even move halfway through an airwall with this system. As I'd mentioned in other posts, it might be that they hadn't set these up yet. Ironically, I'll be back in those same rooms in a couple weeks, I'll report again if anyone is interested.
Aside from the distance/interference problems, I also didn't care for the sound when levels were really pushed. I have a loud voice, and didn't care for the way the companding system reduced the bottom end and shrilled out the top end.
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #13
Trustee

Lithium batteries last a lot longer than alkalines
and give about 1.7 or 1.8 volts. I used them in
a flash gun and it cut the recycle time in half
(15 seconds to 7 seconds) as compared to alkalines.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM   #14
Major Player

"regurgitated" we'll never hear that used again referring to a question about audio related hardware... but sometimes, that's all a little eagle can digest, so it must be.
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hartney
"regurgitated" we'll never hear that used again referring to a question about audio related hardware... but sometimes, that's all a little eagle can digest, so it must be.
Did I miss something in this post John? This thread was 11 months old before it popped up again. "Regurgitated" would be the correct word for an old thread resurfacing, or maybe my English is weak?
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio