Wireless lav pins help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 28th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Wireless lav pins help

My dad who hires me occasionally to video education projects finally got the funding ($500-$1,000) to purchase a wireless system for a Sony VX2000.

I was going to recommend the Sennheisier Eng, but since I've seen a lot of mixed reviews and I don't have any experience with wireless to base an opinion on, I left the decision up to the tech guys at b&h. On their advice he got an Audio-Technica system for around $800 which included:
- U100 wireless sys. (receiver & hand held mic transmitter) $480
- XLR adapter (look like a beach tec) $144
- AT899 Lavalier Mic $196

When it came in the mail I was surprised to discovered that there wasn't any body transmitter included in the "system". So I said to my dad just order a body pack transmitter, after he talked to b&h they said that the lav mic i got won't work with the normal body transmitter because the mic uses 3 pins and the standard pack uses 5 pins. So I'm faced with a decision of sending back the mic and getting one to match the body pack or just going with whole different system. I know audio-techica is good name but the whole package with the body transmitter is a little over $1,000. Can any give me advice on how to proceed given my price range?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have no problem with Senn G2 nor the previous model.

JR
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #3
Trustee

I'd be calling B&H and asking to speak to the dept head. Don't get nasty but explain the situation and ask how this whole mess can be rectified to your satisfaction. B&H are a reputable outfit and usually very good at customer service.
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:26 AM   #4
Trustee

I bought the Sennheiser G2 with the xtra plug ( for converting a wired mic into wireless) for $600. The system works fine and sounds good. Tell them you need to return the stuff they sold you for the G2.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks guys I'll recommend he send back the audio-technica in favor of the Senn G2.

One other question:

Do I need to buy a Beachtek adapter I've heard so much about?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No, you don't HAVE to have a BeachTek to use the system you're buying, as long as you're okay with only using a single mic at a time. The G2 receiver will plug right into the cam's mic input.

The advantage of a BeachTek is that you could use the G2 receiver on one channel, and a second mic (wired, or another wireless system) on the other channel. That's because the BeachTek converts the single, stereo mic input into two separate mic/line inputs.

-Troy
Troy Tiscareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #7

I'd be calling Kendall at B&H. He'll take great care of you.
Some folks really like the Sennheiser, I'm guessing my experiences have been unusual with it, because I've had two bad ones in two different cities.
I use the U100/899 in our own shoots, love it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Troy: thx for clearing that up about the Beachtek

Douglas: glad to hear you like u100/at899 my dad decided to order the body pack/5 pin mic and try it out before making the decision to return it in favor of the Senn. system.

I'll post a mini review when I get everything up and running. Thx everyone for the advice.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio