samson micro 32 wireless system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 1st, 2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Tourist

samson micro 32 wireless system

Hi there,

I am about to purchase a PD170 for a small business that I am wanting to start up. My next thought was the wireless system that I will use. I need a handheld and a lav mic so I thought that the samson micro 32 wireless system would suit my need perfectly. Its true diversity and reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with this product?

The next thing I was wondering about is where to mount the receiver on the camera. I was thinking of buying a similar mount to one of these http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT1441/sc.2/category.35/it.A/id.1682/.f
I just done know where it mounts on the camera. I know this is a stupid question but can someone please fill me in

Thanks
Nick Spargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have used a Samson micro 32 for a few years now, mostly as my secondary or backup mic. I just feel like the system is a little on the fragile side... I have not broken it or experienced any major problems with it outside of interference but it just feels kinda cheap. I would recommend the Sennheiser G2 setup for basically the same price, plus it comes with a nice hot-shoe mount or if you really want a nice durable, good sounding wireless rig, go with Lectro's 100 series, I use mine every shoot! (the 100mw on the transmitter makes a big difference)

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I still haven't forgiven Samson for not having a replacement antenna for my wireless Samson. They sent me a limp piece of wire with threading THAT DID NOT EVEN FIT THE BUILT IN THREADS on the unit!

It wasn't a mistake, it was the "replacement" antenna because they could no longer get the original antenna design. It may not have worked or fit properly, but at least they didn't gouge me on the price.
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I use 2 Samson 32 receivers, and 3 xmitters (one as backup). I use 2 w/omni mikes; and, 1 with hyper cardioid.

While I agree that they are some what more fragile than other brands, I have no major complaints.

Working in the boonies as I do, I have fitted them with foam wrap as cases around them. I then place them in fitted pouches of nylon material, to keep them safe from moisture.

For my taste, I would do the same for any audio instruments that I purchased, the brand being irrelevant.

As to the quality of sound: I won't nit pick with other brands as to the best. It comes in at @ 18k for a high. More than ample for wild life, or, auditorium/stage use.
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:25 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Ferrer : ... I would recommend the Sennheiser G2 setup for basically the same price, plus it comes with a nice hot-shoe mount ... -->>>

Chris,

I'm a little confused about your Samson Micro 32 vs Sennheiser G2 recommendation.

At B&H, Samson is $350, and Senn. is $500.
As best as I can tell, the Samson offers the following features not on the Senn.:

1. Diversity receiver
2. Balanced XLR output on receiver

If this is correct, it would seem that these are important features that make the Samson a better mic. What exactly do you think makes the Senn. a better mic?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

As I said, the build quality of the samson is rather questionable... it feels very fragile and the audio quality is no where near my lectro 100. The main reason I would go with the G2 is the recommendation from several sound professionals at Trew Audio (trewaudio.com) about the sound quality, options and durability. They have pretty much said it is the only sub-$1000 wireless setup worth anything. These guys are the real thing, all sound professional (not just salesmen) and I have been dealing with them for several years, I take their word when it comes to audio. And being that the "pre-G2" senn. evolution 100 was the reigning sub-$1000 wireless setup, it makes it easy to believe the G2 took its place.

I also got caught up in the diversity hype for a little while when I purchased the samson but now that I run Lectro's 100 series, it is the best sounding wireless setup I have ever used and it is not a diversity receiver and I never get dropouts.

As for a balanced output on the G2, it is balanced, its just not in XLR form on the reciver.

hope this helps a little.

chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Chris, that was very helplful.

I think I'm convinced -- the Senn G2 is the way to go (short of a lectro).
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #8
DVCreators.Net

Do you really need wireless? Ya know with hardwired mics you get perfect sound everytime and you can pick up TWO high quality Sony ECM-55b's or Countryman B3's (what I own) for the same price as one wireless system. I recently asked some talent if they were nervous because they were "tethered" they said it didn't bother them a bit. Even though I have a wireless system, I tend to go hardwired when I can.
I had been recommending the Samson UM1 (less expensive single channel), and UM32 as a decent priced wireless system, in fact it is still at the top of our website in the learning "sound" section. But after using the Sennheiser G2, I'll need to change that. I'll have to agree, the Samson isn't as great in terms of sound fidelity and the unit's feel (it's plastic, the G2 is metal with cool lcd display and it's way smaller). Sennheiser's high end stuff basically rules the "reality tv" world with their super-small bodypack transmitters. But you're talkin' $2k and up. I would say rent one of the high end Sony's or Lectrosonics like Chris has if you'll only be using it every once in awhile. You can rent those for like $40- $50/day. However if don't like renting for about $100 more than the Samson, go for the Sennheiser G2. The nice thing is you can also get the "plug on transmitter" for a handheld or shotgun - now that is a slick set-up!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio