Any great book on sound recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any great book on sound recording?

I've learned the hard way how important good production sound is for a movie, and I would like to learn a lot more about the art of production recording, in different on-set situations.

Has anyone read "PRODUCING GREAT SOUND FOR DIGITAL VIDEO"?

Can anyone recommed this or another book?

Thank you all very much.

Alex
Alex Cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2

There is nothing out there about on-set recording that's much good. Jay Rose *touches* on this , but doesn't go into depth. "Location Sound" whose author I've forgotten, is a pretty good book at certain levels too. I touch on this in my books, but again, I don't go as deeply as could be.
Perhaps it's time for a book on sound recording on sets and different situations, eh?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Most definitely!

I'm doing a movie with the XL2 and mini35, my original idea was to get a good mike like the ME66 on a boom pole, connecting it to the back XLR ports, and recording sound in the camera, but browsing this forum and some others it seems that this is not the best idea, and want ot learn what the best configuration would be for a DV film... maybe I should start a different thread on the subject...
Alex Cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Major Player

If you want the best audio quality, buuy something like a markanz or a DAT recorder. Even better, a LABTOP with a good soundcard (usb/firewire or line ouput/input with profesional convertors; MAUDIO makes fine musicians soundcards).

With an external recorder yOu can control the audio manually and if you need , add a limiter or compressor to the channel. IF you need more than 2 XLR inputs (mics), you will better of with an extra mixer. so...............

xlr mic>4 channel mixer's preamp>externalrecorder (or cam)

NOwwww....now another issue. If you want the most dynamic and profesional sound, you NEED a profesional PREAMP. The preamps on the cam xl2 are not bad, but they can be better. The preamp on the mixer (cheap mixers) are pretty good, but......the best preamp can be found on preamps like the Focusrite products. They have preampt with compressor and limiters to it, so you will not have to worry for distorted recordings. These focusrite products are the best. I heard about a great not expensive preamp and comrpessor in one, called the RNC (really nice compressor). Great reviews about this one. I will buy one myself. so......

xlr > profesional preamp with comrpessor/EQ build in > external recorder (or cam)
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jose,

I didn't have to worry about this when I was going to record sound straight to the camera, but how do you synch the sound later (I'll be editing in Final Cut 4), if using a DAT or other external recording?

Please pardon my ignorance, it's just that I only have experience synching sound on film in a Moviola...

Thanks!
Alex Cano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio