live recording with PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 5th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Major Player

live recording with PC

g'DAY
not stupid at all.
The big ones are using trucks with slide out wall's and digital mixing desk's much more expensive as analog's have been.
http://www.rme-audio.de/ with such soundcards you can build a real professional system.
Which package to take..Windows maybe Linux with a control surface. Would it be reliable?
Who has done this with live recording ?
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 03:46 AM   #2
Major Player

I do need you

Hi
only to tell you, me Ronald, born 1956 Berlin, grew up from UK to the rest of Europe, now in France, 10 miles from the ocean 40 miles from Bordeaux.

I do need your advice for a project. We do like to jump on live recording. We've done this already using one of these trucks, but what's the next step?? I worked reelance sound recording for yaers in the analogue era. But now what to use,?

Analog desk A/D and adat ?
cheap digital desk ..adat ?
no adat pc as recording station ?
pc or apple with control surface ?
Cubase, Nuendo, Pyramid ??

what do you think ?
ronald
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3

I do this regularly, ranging from Rick Springfield to the MoTab Choir to the 3 Tenors. But I don't and won't use the RME products. Had a HORRIBLE experience with them and not only was tech support beyond shoddy, the gear never ever did work right. I know they've upgraded significantly since, but I still prefer working with Echo on my laptop, and in the studio I use Delta 1010 or Echo Laylas, depending on which of our 3 rooms you're in.
I use Sony Vegas, with John Hardy pre's. Any DAW will work fine. For field recording, I personally think a control surface is silly, but some folks might want one. For that, I'd use a Mackie Universal.
I'd not go the Linux route, but some folks like a difficult life.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio