Beachtek Dial Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 7th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Beachtek Dial Noise

I just recently purchased a used Beachtek DXA-4 off of eBay for my VX2000.

I notice that whenever I change volume dials, the audio feed in my camera actually picks up the physical sound of dial being changed. I know the sound isn't recorded from my microphone, because I hear it when there are no mics plugged in at all.

It does the same thing when I hooked the Beachtek box up to my backup trv17 camera.

Is this normal for these units, or did I get a defective DXA-4?
Gary Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have one, and it is normal. In fact the instructions that came with it mentioned that the knobs are for presetting levels and not intended to be changed as you shoot. In other words, it isn't a mixer that you can actively operate.

Unfortunately that's just the way it is...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Boyd, well at least I know it isn't broken.

On a similar subject, I have another question. If recording with just one microphone, is it generally recommended to keep the audio dial at the highest level of 10?

I wasn't 100% sure because there are no visual meters, and I don’t trust my own hearing.
Gary Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

Use the level meters on your VX-2000 (push the audio level button). To play it safe, make sure the level never goes higher than -6dB (some extreme peaks, like a gun shot might hit -3dB).

From the DXA-4 manual
Quote:
When recording in MONO mode, be sure to keep the volume control for the unused channel at max to reduce the loading effect.

The DXA-4 controls should normally be set as high as possible to achieve the maximum signal to noise ratio. You may have to turn the volume controls down if you are using very sensitive microphones or are feeding in high level signals from a mixer.

Try to avoid adjusting the volume controls on the adapter while recording as this may introduce contact noise from turning the potentiometers - instead, set the levels prior to recording.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #5
Major Player

You're kidding right?

I have two "one of a kind" XLR shorties with built in variable audio pads. I can dial them up or down as needed. If I can have two custom made variable audio pad cables made, why can't Beachtek do the same?
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Wrangler

Only Beachtek can answer that question.... http://www.beachtek.com
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio