What midi-sequenced based program do you use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #1
Major Player

What midi-sequenced based program do you use?

It's only been recently, since around 2002, that I've been delving into the world of DV recording/editing. In the meantime, I've been doing midi-sequencing/arranging since around 1988.

I have a PC computer and use Vegas 5 as my main miniDV editor. It does a dandy job recording and editing audio as well. But it has no midi sequencing functions at all. To get around this, I have available either Emagic's Logic 5 and Steinberg's SX 1.06 programs. Additionally, I have Cakewalk's Sonar 3 program. (Note, I've been using Calkwalk sequencing programs since 1993 or so, although I never got into their later software versions until Sonar.) I also use MOTU devices (828 MKII and the MTPAV).

Everything right now works just fine! I am pleased to say that my modest little digital audio/video studio with all its software and hardware devices is solidly configured. But life and technology forever moves forward. I am now interested in moving towards a 100% computer-based sequencing utilizing all "softsynths" and software-based samplers. I recently purchased the Garriton Personal Orchestra (which rocks, by the way), and every few weeks I purchase new sound banks for the Halion software sampler. I also plan on purchasing a couple of more softsynths in the near future to help round out my "softsynth studio".

In the meantime, while I plan for my next "tweeking" of my happy little studio, I'm wondering what programs other audio/video-editing people use for sequencing music to their videos. So! Providing that you midi-sequence your musical arrangements to your DV work, what sequencing-based programs DO you use? Do you primarily use tone-generator hardware for your sounds?? Or do you mostly use softsynths?? What softsynths do you use? Also, what sound card(s) and midi port(s) do you use??

Looking foward to reading your replies. I learn a LOT for you all! :)

Respectfully,

Ted
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Ed,
Your set up sounds interesting.
I've been using Cubase and Nuendo for several years. I do a mixture of reals live tracks ( vocals, guitars, etc.), acid loops, VST instruments,and some software based synths (Halion). Where do you get the addl. sounds for halion? I'm always looking for new ideas...
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'm obviously not in your league at all, but am just now starting to experiment around. I've been using Apple's GarageBand on a PowerBook G4. For a free (or $50 if you need to buy the whole iLife package) program I must say that I'm impressed. I have a background in the piano although I've let it slip over the years.

I got a StudioLogic TMK-88 keyboard, a cheap USB midi interface and a pair of Samson studio monitors at a clearance sale. So for under $500 I now have a basic setup where I can experiment and learn. A couple years ago I never would have believed this would be possible for so little. Perhaps someday after I cut my teeth on this I'll find the need to move up to something more sophisticated like you guys use. :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Bruce -

I download sounds from www.wizoo.com , more specifically at this link:

Wizoosounds

Even more specifially, at this part of their website for the Halion plug-in:

Wizoosounds for Halion

Their library of sounds is slowing growing.

Another site worth exploring is Sounds Online. I haven't purchased anything from them, yet. I just recently found this place.

Sounds Online

Boyd -

My set up is very, very modest. But it most certainly meets my present needs.

One question. How do you like StudioLogic's TMK-88 keyboard? I am currently using an aging QuadraSynth + Piano by Alesis. It's controllers act wierd sometimes, and I'm afraid that it's time to purchase a new midi-controller keyboard. I've been eyeing the keyboard controllers by StudioLogic. I've also been eyeing the keyboard controllers by M-Audio. I would like an 88-key controller. the TMK-88 is one of them. Are you happy with it??

I share your wonderment and enthusiasm!! I never would have believed that I would be doing the audio & video recording/editing I'm doing (and still learning to do) now. Without a doubt, modern technology has been very generous to the average "joes" like me who hold passionate interests in such endeavors.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Wrangler

I am really impressed with the TMK-88. I had a Yamaha digital piano (~66 keys?) and shopped around a bit when I got it for about $1,000 in 1993. I was excited about using it with GarageBand until I dug it out an found that about 3 keys were bad. I wasted over 4 hours messing with that to no avail, and finally figured I needed a new keyboard. I was really surprised to find a full 88 key model for $300. It's very basic, just a keyboard, but the action feels good to me and it works perfectly with GarageBand.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Well Ive recently dumped all my akai hardware samplers and have been running Propellerheads Reason on an iBook G4. The NNXT sampler in this software is worth the price alone not to mention the customizable synths etc.But I guess it really depends on what you plan to do. A firend runs Reason using rewire with protools without a hitch as well. this gives him the ability for live tracks vocals etc. I personally will record vocals with garageband and then chop them with recycle and back into reason and sequence where i want etc.I guesss it comes down to what your needs are and how you like to work.Ive always used akai MPC workstations and reason by far blows them away.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio