xlr to minijack cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 19th, 2004, 02:49 AM   #1
Tourist

xlr to minijack cable

Hi

I have a Canon XM1/GL1 and a Sennheisser ME66/K6 set up.

I plan to get one cable made, with an XLR at one end and a mini jack at the other, to connect them.

Can this work well or do I need more kit?

Cheers
Ewan Mckerracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #2

Well....in terms of a "kit" that isn't gonna begin to cover it, but it IS a necessary component. this is all you need to set up that mic, too, with that camera. Be sure you get a right angle on the 3.5 mm (mini) end to help act as a strain relief and keep the cable from poking way out on the side of the cam, the external mic input is flimsy as it is.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Informative article

Check out this article by Jay Rose, which explains a lot of the details and recommends units.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #4
New Boot

Re: xlr to minijack cable

<<<-- Originally posted by Ewan Mckerracher : Can this work well or do I need more kit? -->>>
Buy something to adjust your audio level.
Ivan Bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Ewan,

I use this set up myself. There are no problems, provided your connecting lead is short - mine is about 9 inches long. With long leads there is the risk of noise induction due to the microphone output being balanced and the camera input being unbalanced.

As Douglas said, get a R/angle 3.5mm jack if you can (Neutrik do these now), and also a R/angle XLR (Neutrik again) - the microphone is long enough without the extension of a straight XLR, also again there is the strain relief and accidental knock angle (sorry!).

The microphone is mono, and the camera input stereo, so you will have to either duplicate the L audio track during editing, or use a stereo plug, connecting the tip and ring together. I have done the latter and I am not aware of any impedance problems as a result.

If you do a search on this forum you will find details of the XLR pin connections in earlier threads.

Here in the UK, you can obtain Neutrik plugs and suitable cable from Composite Video

www.compositevideo.co.uk
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio