BeachTek DXA-8; line inputs; battery life at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 21st, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1
Fred Retread

BeachTek DXA-8; line inputs; battery life

Does anyone use the DXA-8 with suitably attenuated line inputs and get acceptable battery life?

You're supposed to get about ten hours without using phantom power, But I'm getting less than two hours out of fresh 9V Duracels-they're dying with the performance in progress. l'm left with dead spots that I'll have to fill with the on-board audio from my second camera. And yes, the phantom power is turned off.

I'll check with the guys at BeachTek, but it's Sunday so I thought I'd try the question here.
Old November 21st, 2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Trustee

That certainly sounds like a serious problem. How long is the power supposed to last when you ARE using phantom? I would imagine even then it should be more than two hours.
Other than conferring with the BeachTek people and possibly having them check it out, I can only suggest that 9v batteries are very susceptible to be mis-handled between the package being opened and them being installed. It only takes a few seconds of shorting the terminals against a metal object, like another 9v, to substantially weaken the battery.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Trustee

I just got home last night and I have some stuff to do but i'll try a test tonight. (If I can manage the time)

How many channels driven?
Old November 21st, 2004, 07:09 PM   #4
Fred Retread

Bryan, I was running two channels. Took the signals out of the left and right bus inserts of a Mackie CR1604, through direct boxes, then down about 30 feet of XLR cable then through AT8202 attenuators into the left and right inputs of the Beach.

Harry Kaufmann was in the office at BeachTek
today, or at least checking his email, and did get back to me. Thinks I may have a bad unit and recommends sending it back to B&H for exchange. B&H has given me an RMA even though I'm a bit over the 7 day limit. I'm being treated pretty well--no complaints. These things happen.

I would be interested in the life you get though, if you get around to testing it.
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM   #5
Trustee

I haven't had a chance yet and i'd like to do it properly. Set up two mics and monitor the situation at 5 min intervals. My batteries are about 2 years old but still showing a good date (energizer 9 volt)

""My brain is wired to want to know how other things are wired."

I coulda used you last week. I'm usually pretty good at finding control problems but there was an overwhelming abundance. Like sticking your finger in the dike. I got through it and got home on saturday. OyVey! The pain!
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:33 PM   #6
Trustee

I only get about 2 hours with limiters and phantom on. I changed batteries for ever tape on the last performance I recorded to be on the safe side.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 10:24 PM   #7
Trustee

That's about the norm for my Sound Devices units.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio