Whats the difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Whats the difference?

Hey There. This is going to sound very pathetic asking a group of professionals, but im somewhat new to this DV Game. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced audio? Which is generally better \\ most common. Thanks!
Rob Kroeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

OK, here goes. It ain't brain surgery. It's more like plumbing.

Balanced or unbalanced, the audio needs at least two conductors. Why, 'cause it's an alternating current shuttling back and forth almost at the speed of light. (In an oversimplified way, not unlike a standard light fixture. You know, the plug on the end of a lamp cord has two prongs, sometimes three.) The two conductors allow the current to alternate back and forth.

Balanced is better. Balanced means audio is carried on two conductors and they are wrapped by a third conductor called a shield. The shield keeps extraneous noise from getting into your precious audio.

Unbalanced audio runs on two conductors. Unbalanced cable is normally one central conductor wrapped by a shield. The audio on an unbalanced cable is conducted on the central conductor AND THE SHIELD!! Hanging out there makes you wonder why they even bother to call it a shield. That means the audio is much more prone to interference because it doesn't have a shield to surround and protect the audio.

Having one less conductor makes the unbalanced audio;

1. Lower in level. (Trust me on this or it'll take another page.)
2. More prone to interference

So balanced audio is always preferable. Questions?

There will be a quiz!!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Haha thanks Ty, I owe you big ;)
Rob Kroeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #4
Fred Retread

Besides having a real shield, balanced cables have the ability to cancel any noise that reaches the inner conductors.

The audio signal voltage in one conductor at any instant is the mirror image of the other--equal in magnitude but opposite in polarity. Hence, "balanced." The signal is the _difference_ in voltage between them. Any electromagnetic interference that gets to them tends to produce a voltage spike of the same polarity in both conductors, so the difference between them doesn't change.

This is especially important for longer runs of cable, which can act like antennae for electrical noise in the venue.
Old December 9th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Fred, what a beautiful explanation.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #6
Membership Suspended

See also http://www.dplay.com/dv/balance/balance.html
Davi Dortas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks a ton. I know a thing or two about shielding, but I had no idea it could run thru unbalanced audio. Thanks a ton.
Rob Kroeger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio