Wireless Mics for movie making? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Mics for movie making?

Ok, I know that alot of people on here like the Sennheiser ew112P G2 for weddings and interviews and stuff, but do people really use these for movies?

I mean, I have a nice Azden shotgun mic, and the sound is very good, but obviously if the camera is very far away from the people, a good wireless mic would do the trick for that shot, but what about just getting really good audio from closer shots?

Are these good mics to rely on for solid audio compared to the old traditional shotgun or even shotgun on a boom stand? I don't have anyone that's going to be a boom operator or anything, but I'm just curious.

I have the chance to buy the Senn EW112 Kit but I'll wait until I actually get a paying gig if they aren't all that good at getting audio for movies.

I'm sure they are great for picking up audio as far as quality, but you do need to attach them and you don't want them making scratching sounds if the people move around, right?
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Mics for movie making?

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Benkosky : Ok, I know that alot of people on here like the Sennheiser ew112P G2 for weddings and interviews and stuff, but do people really use these for movies?

--not the real movies. Most off those are lectrosonic, audio Ltd., zaxcom.

I mean, I have a nice Azden shotgun mic, and the sound is very good, but obviously if the camera is very far away from the people, a good wireless mic would do the trick for that shot, but what about just getting really good audio from closer shots?

--boom mic and/or wireless depending on the shot. Not an Azden. A Sennheiser, Neumann or Sanken shotgun and a Schoeps hypercardioid And yes, they sound better

Are these good mics to rely on for solid audio compared to the old traditional shotgun or even shotgun on a boom stand? I don't have anyone that's going to be a boom operator or anything, but I'm just curious.

--I don't quite understand the question. The traditional shotguns and hypercardioids will smoke even the best lavs, provided you can get it close enough. BTW, a good hyper will smoke a shotgun in most interiors if it can get close enough.

I have the chance to buy the Senn EW112 Kit but I'll wait until I actually get a paying gig if they aren't all that good at getting audio for movies.--

I'm sure they are great for picking up audio as far as quality, but you do need to attach them and you don't want them making scratching sounds if the people move around, right? -->>>

-- right. and that's an art and craft unto itself. You won't likely see Senn EW112 on any big budget movie set.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Yea, I understand that "REAL" movies won't use them.

Thanks for the input. Obviously the key is a top-of-the-line hypercardioid.

Maybe I'll look into selling the Azden SMG-X2, I think that's it, and getting maybe a $400 mic or better.

Got any suggestions for some really good shotgun mics?
Old December 13th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My 2c

I asked the question about movie dialogue once and I got the answer that it's all replaced afterwards in voice over booths with something call ADR (automatic dialogue replacement)

The sound that they get on set is not the sound that is used in the final edit.

If you watch a movie you'll notice that there is next to no background noise that you would get using even the best shot gun mic in town.

Unfortunately this knowledge has made me watch movies differently. Oh well!

Jon
Jonathan Nicholas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio