Best Windscreen for ME-66? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Windscreen for ME-66?

Hi there,

I just bought an excellent condition ME-66 from a friend of mine and I need to get a windscreen for it.

Just wondering what type is best (foam, fur, birdcage, pantyhose), cheap, and where can I get them?

Thanks!

Ron
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

you can make them yourself. I saw some articles about it. Check google.

I only use a popfilter.....windscreens made of panty? mmm. I think those are windscreens.....or maybe thopse are the different names for the same product.

bottomline...good popfilters sell for 20 euros/dollar
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

Like most items in the video world, you have to decide where you need to use the microphone.

Inside, you can get by with nothing although foam is nice to cut handling noise caused by moving the microphone through the air.

Outside, in all but the mildest of breezes, foam isn't enough. You need a blimp or at least one of the fuzzy covers from Light Wave Systems or the like. The fuzzy cover shorties (mini-blimp) work fine in all but the highest winds and cost a whole lot less. Blimps work very well in all situations and you can decide on a fabric or a fur cover.

Fuzzy mini-blimps cost around $150.

Blimps cost more and you have to buy a microphone mount that costs around $150 +.
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Major Player

sennheiser makes one...

It's foam, not the "dead cat" variety.
If your documentary calls for an outside shot, the foam will work for the lightest of breeze only.
The rycote is superior.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Man, I talked to this guy today and he showed me his and I nearly died. Completely homemade and cheap. It was made from the air filter refill for a humidifier (or dehumidifier, but that's neither here nor there). It was wrapped into a coffee can shape (I guess that's called a cylinder) multiple times to create a layering (because, to begin with, it's only one card-thick layer) then a multi-layer circle was pasted onto the bottom.
Because of the 'net-like' nature of the filter it's virtually transparent to sound (even in the highs) and as a result of the layering it is quite effective against a firm breeze. He had me blow into it while feeling for my breath from the inside. I layed a lung-powered gale into it and felt practically nothing.
So, that's a cheap solution.
Ian Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Ronald.

Here is my suggestion.

It probably depend on the budget and where you want to record the sound.

I can give you two recomandations that will probably make you very happy.

1. recomandation for very little wind. Se this link.

http://www.mediumblend.com/abelstore/customer/product.php?productid=485&cat=3&page=1

The product is from Sony, is made of foam, is extremely lightweight and sells allmost for nothing.

2. Recomandation. For more wind and rain snow.

It's a product from a company called Rycote.

And the product name is:
The site is down at the moment I tried to check... think their homepage is www.rycote.com

On the box it says:
Softie.
SFT18MHF
18 cm MH Softie front only
Suitable for SENNHEISER ME66K6 SONY ECM670

It is made of a kind of foam I think and have fur attached outside. Very compact and lightweight also.

This last product will probably help you out in 99% (if not 100%) of your recordings.

I use both of the product above during an Atlantic crossing and was very satisfied.

But if you are not satisfied with the above solutions you can allways buy something called a zepeliner, I do not think the name is spelled right, but this beast is a lot bigger and covers the entire mic including the connector (if I do not remember wrong) and will cost you a fortune. This is a lot larger and if travelling a lot .....

I'll also definitely would recomend the Rycote item above.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Rycote is the best road to take. They have 3 different stages of wind control.

They make a fur cover that is attached over a foam windscreen. That is called a Windjammer. There are others that make a similar product. these sell for $50 to $60 US.

Next is the Softie which is a fake fur cover over an accoustic foam base and it costs $125-$150. This iis by far more advanced than a windjammer over a foam sleeve.

The best over all is a wind shield. This is a plastic basket that totally encloses the microphone. there are several types of covers that are available. this is an expensive proposition. The shock mount has to be built so that it will support the microphone and the wind shield. Schock mounts, windscreen and covers range from $500 to $600.

At the very least buy a windjammer or polecat for $50. You've already spent good money to get this far, so to mickey mouse something for the sake of $50 just isn't worth it.

Here's the link to the US distributor
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM   #8
Trustee

I just received an email from Manfred Klemme (k-Tek) he is apparently producing a combo shock mount and wind shield. He's calling it a "Fuzzy" and it will be based on the KSM shockmount with a softie likefront end. When Rycote bought Lightwave and moved production Manfred figured it was time. All of K-teks stuff is made in the US, it's reasonable and it's quality.

Look for this in January. I expect B&H and Trew Audio will be carrying this item. The list price (most sell for less ) will be $250.

I do have a picture for anyone interested. Email me at bbeasleigh atrogersdotcom. K-Tek always make better than average stuff.

There will be 3 sizes
Z-FZ-S (CS-1 sized)
Z-FZ-M (416, 4073a sized)
Z-FZ-L (Sennheisser ME 66 sized)

I don't own shares, i just like good stuff that's made over here (US and Canada) Manfred is a Canadian who produces his stuff in LA
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM   #9
Major Player

OK, here is an idea to make your own blimp.
Find a plastic bottle (from designer water, soda, or whatever) that is long enough to completely contain the audio pick-up elements of your mic and allow at least one inch or about 2.5 CM around the core of the mic in all directions.
The next step requires a LOT of patience.
Using an electric wood-burner with a pointed tip, a soldering iron, or a candle and the heated end of a wire clothing hanger, BURN hundreds, if not thousands, of little holes ALL OVER this empty plastic container. Piercing a plastic container with a heated rod causes minimal damage to the structural integrity of the plastic container, where drilling or cutting could cause major structural damage. The more holes you can make the more transparent the plastic bottle wil be from an audio perspective.

Next. How to suspend a mic inside this "blimp"? That is up to you. I think rubber bands will prominently figure into the process.

Next, find a friend who knows and understands fabrics and likes to sew. Bribe them if necessary. Take a trip to your local fabric store and search for a furry fabric that is the absolute loosest weave possible (making it more acousticaly transparent). Bribe your friend again to make you a zippered cover for your plastic-bottle-derived-blimp-windscreen.

Lastly, attach the new blimp windscreen to your camera or mic stand. how specifically? Well, I was hoping you could help.
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Major Player

I use a lightwave miniscreen with the velvet windsock.. This does not color the sound like a full "catfur" type does...

Yet it offers excellent wind protection. I like it better than the Rycote solution. Retails for $189 for both pieces...

http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/miniscreen/default.htm
John Hartney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio