Use of Shotgun on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Tourist

Use of Shotgun on GL2

Newbie question here:

I see many folks recommending the AT897 shotgun mic (B&H seems to have a good deal on this right now that includes a camera-mount shock mount and a XLR cable, FYI).

Are people mounting this mic on their camera, on a boom, or both? Seems that, even at just 11 inches, this mic mounted on a smaller camera such as a GL2 might give one a poke in the eye. Or maybe this works great and is worlds better than the built-in mic (which, on the GL2, I hear is pretty poor in terms of rear rejection).

Thanks for insights,
Marlboro, NJ
Joe Hewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Any good quality shotgun will give you much better sound than the built-in mic.

I bought an AT shotgun, I think the 835 or 853...I'm not sure of the number. But, it was way too long. 18" I think. It looks pretty goofy on my little GL2, but it works great when I have an XL1s, and that's part of why I got it.

Dunno much about the b&h kit, but I can tell you that a really good shock mount is essential. I don't have one for my GL2, and whenever I make quick pans or movements with the camera, the boom picks it up.

As cumbersome as it is, it's still a lot better than using the built in mic.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Major Player

I have a AT-897 on my GL2 and it does stick out, but it's not that bad.
Shorter than the ME66 I had before, and even with the wide angle lens it does not show up in the frame.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Try mounting an on camera mic on a "grip" setup like the Mighty Wondercam Mini Rover. There's something to hang onto and your handheld stuff will be much steadier. there is also no fear of the mic showing up in the top of the frame.

You could use a "flash bracket" but the quality and usability won't be the same.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just did a short documentary where it was just me running and gunning myself doing interviews and I have a AT4073a mic hanging off my GL2. It's pretty big, but it really didn't cause any maneuvering issues for me. I also bought the AT8415 mount with the microphone. It is your cheapest route and you really do get what you pay for! I hated the thing. The shoe adapter broke on me in the first week(maybe my own fault) and all through out my shoots it kept slipping out and banging my camera up. The AT8415 has a lot of space to wobble and make unnecessary noise. So, I would definitely recommend the K-Tek KSMS Shockmount with the "ultra soft" suspenders.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331126&is=REG

It's kind of pricey, but you really get what you pay for. Don't forget to buy the shoe adapter also. This is my experience with the whole issue.
Jake Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:54 PM   #6
Trustee

The K-Tek mounts, and the deluxe K-Tek bands for the AT8415 are superior to the stock 8415, but if the stock unit is rigged correctly, the mic won't slip around. You have to criss-cross the stock horizontal bands at the front and rear to securely hold a shotgun mic.
The shoe adapters I've seen that you can buy for use with an 8415 are all metal. It doesn't come with a shoe mount included. How did you break it? I have heard of the Beyer shockmount with a shoe, that B&H is now basically giving away, breaking but it's plastic.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:54 PM   #7
Trustee

K Tech make a shoe mount version of the KSSM and KSM, it doesn't have the extra articulated joint and it sells for $75 at B&H. I use the KSSM with the soft rubber on my MKH60 as well as my Octava's and my Schoeps.

K-Tek is very good stuff, worth the money

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio