New to Sound and Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 10th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #1
New Boot

New to Sound and Film

Hi

I posted in the General DV forum about a film I am producing. As i am very new to film making I was wondering what the best way to record sound would be.

I know that is quite ageneral question so I will try to be a bit more specific. I am using a Canon DV 750i Camcorder. Am I best recording the sound directly to this, using a microphone? If so what type of microphone should I be looking at?

Or would it be better to record the sound to dedicated hardware and sync the sound and video? Again what type of hardware is required.

Excuse me if these simple questions have been asked and answered before. I have been trawling through the forums and haven't come accross any topics similar to what I am asking.

Thanks for any help friends.

Simon
Simon Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

It's sort of like asking what is the best pen to use to write a letter. People make entire careers out of just audio. And there is a reason why most videographers have aton of different types of mics. A good place to start is a book by Jay Rose called Recording Great Audio for Video. You can see more about it on www.dplay.com. But be prepared to actually study and learn something, its a lot harder (and more important) than pointing a camera in auto-mode.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Major Player

This is where my search started quite some time ago http://www.equipmentemporium.com/.

Lots of information from guys working in that field. They're also extremely helpful if you need to ask questions when purchasing gear.

I'd also second John's suggestion of Jay's book.

Hope this helps.

-Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #4
New Boot

Its a good start . What have I let myself in for? :-0

Thanks Guys

Simon
Simon Kenny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio