How do I generate music notes from whistling and/or hum? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I generate music notes from whistling and/or hum?

I'm looking for software that can record my whistle and/or hum and produce notes and hopefully beats as well.

Then if I can produce notes that way I would now like to be able to use another software / or the same to generate different sounds based on the generated notes.

Sound from i.e. clarinet, piano, violin, drums ........

So... is there such software out there, preferably for WinXP and or Linux (or MAC).

In Norway I saw an advertice for a guy that had invented a software program that could suggest/find music that matched most closely to a whistle. It was designed to help music sales persons to be able to help the customers to find the music they where looking for. Many customers did not remember enough notes so the sales person could recognice the actual music piece... but the software would be able to identify the actual piece based on a lot less info than us .. .the humans...

So if this was possible then I thought a software that does what I want should exist somewhere out there.
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

there are some software (and even hardware ) that can do that.
there are some MIDI microphones they generate notes from any noise.
There are even device that can take you voice singing a song, then correct the picth (in case you sing really wrong) and produce an output of youre same voice, but corrected.
http://www.2-mp3.com/midi-tool/akoff-music-composer/
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Trustee

That is so cool! A beautiful application of technology.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestion.

For the note generation it looks to be what I'm after.

It would have been nice to also be able to convert that
converted files to a higher HZ rate, 16 bit and stereo.

Any suggestions for that?

Then....only one part is missing.

Do you know about software I can use to generate piano, guitar, flute, .... "woices" from that generated notes?

Thanks again.
Old January 14th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

i do not really understand what you need for the 2nd part.
you should know that every note of music is made from 3 part.
the shape (make the note feel like the instrument you need) of the note.
the shape is itself made from attack,sustain,decay (how it starts, how long it stays, and how it finishes)
inside the shapeof note, you must put a content (what makes sound the note like the instrument =the shape of the wave). it could be pure sinus wave or complex white noise.
and finally the pitch (frequency) that make the note.
using midi is great because you can create a sample of only one note for an instrument and generate all the others from this sample. Then you can play the score with any instrument (even human voice).
Some high end wav editor can do the same without using midi, but it is considerably trickier, because you have to use many feature to tweak properly the signal.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

It sounds like you guys are talking about "vocorders" and samplers.

A vocorder- software or hardware, takes two different sounds and more or less blends them together. You get vocal effets like the vocals on Dirty Vegas "...days go by and still I think of you...." There are software versions that will blend sounds- dont think thats what you want.

A sampler is probably what you are looking for. You record any audio snippit that you wish to manipulate, and can control it with a midi keyboard. There are a number of versions of this. Some of the older Ensonique keyboards are probably going cheap now. There are also software versions that are very cool-- Sampletank for the Mac, and Gigasampler for the Pc'ers. Once installed on your computer, you can record and control the sounds/samples with an external midi keyboard. Very cool stuff. I have a rack mount sampler in my midi studio, but it's collected dust in the past months.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Do you know about software I can use to generate piano, guitar, flute, .... "woices" from that generated notes?
Once the singing or humming is saved as MIDI notes, then any software or hardware synthesizer should play it back using any instrument that the synthesizer supports.
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Checkout Sibelius software. As you record to it it produces the music score.Pretty wild .An associate uses it and is very pleased
smitty
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Major Player

AS mentioned in my previous message,
you can use a program called "Sampletank" for the Mac or "Gigasampler" for the PC. I have a friend using Gigasampler and it's very cool.

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/707804/>
<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/709107/>
<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/702347/>
<http://www.tascamgiga.com/>

Good Luck,

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio